Badger menaces woman going down slide

Originally published at: Badger menaces woman going down slide | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Pretty sure that badger was more scared than the woman was. Poor badger. Just minding their own business when a nearly hairless screaming two-legged monster comes flying down the hill at them.

15 Likes

the American badger (not to be confused with the adorable European badger)

What is it about the American badger that renders it less adorable? European badgers can be a right pain the arse too, sometimes.

5 Likes

Yeah, pretty sure the badger was the one being menaced, it’s a good thing it didn’t take umbrage. Don’t mess with badgers.

4 Likes

dennis

4 Likes

American Badgers tend to be much meaner from what I’ve seen. Like they’ll take on much bigger animals, humans included, for a meal or just to keep territory. I have no idea how pugnacious their European cousins are but if they’re a badger then they’re likely similar.

4 Likes

Not to be confused with the nastyass honey badger, who doesn’t give a shit.

3 Likes

Yup, I also thought that the headline of the news report (and this boing boing article) are exactly backwards.

4 Likes

Oh, you’ve not come across this usage of the word ‘menaces’ which means ‘runs away from’? /s

4 Likes

Park City—I’ve been on that; it’s a blast. Here, you can ride it for free without a dumb badger getting in your way…

2 Likes

I can’t say for certain but I’ve thoroughly enjoyed this comparison in the past.

9 Likes

I’ve not gone down one of these things before, but wouldn’t you think to wear PPE or at the very least a helmet and elbow pads?

So many times humans want to go fast and reckless, just walk up to the apparatus in street clothes and launch.

Collect all your teeth and try to glue your skin back on I guess.

1 Like

But yeah, ours does seem a tad less overtly aggressive. But you would never want to get on the wrong side of one.

5 Likes

Disappointed.
No mushrooms OR snakes.

6 Likes

Fun fact, American badgers and coyotes don’t usually get along but sometimes they will hunt together which has been witnessed multiple times.

5 Likes
6 Likes

Perhaps it’s cranky because it lost its waistcoat and kerchief?

But no, I agree. I don’t really believe anyone should attempt to wrangle a brawny mustelid into tweed before serving them marmalade and cakes. That would be a silly thing to do.

Badgers need to given some context - In the UK they are our largest(heaviest) land carnivore.
It’s no wonder the US version is so grumpy - with Bears, wolves, coyotes, lynx, bobcats and cougars to compete with.

3 Likes

I can’t help but question the sincerity of the screaming when she takes the time to do a reaction shot of herself in the midst of it. :roll_eyes:

The US badger really does likely have some Napoleon complex happening. Even the comparatively sized wolverine makes it seem unimpressive, so it likely has to amp up the performative anger.

1 Like