Watch: Ben Carson reads his anti-cancel culture poem on Fox News

Thanks for posting a link with some examples. It makes confronting the meme posters easier . If they hold up “Cat in the Hat” and cry, “Obama read this to kids! Suddenly it’s racist?” You can then show the pages in question, and be like, “No one is saying that. They are saying there are issues with some of these other images.”

IMO, they could still omit or change these pages and start publishing again. But if not, they have dozens of other books which are fine.

5 Likes

From the party that originally brought you cancel culture comes, “How to Cancel Culture the Right Way.”

3 Likes

But when they ban something its not “cancel culture”, its “culture.” Their one complaint with “cancel culture” or social justice or civil rights is the same. They all signify a world where white, mid-american fox viewers don’t get to be the sole arbiter of acceptable behavior (or as they think of it, the death of their culture).

The idea that any culture founded on the idea that one group should dictate how everyone else behaves is a culture that should be brought to an end requires quite a bit more self-awareness than they’re capable of

9 Likes

It’s connected to the myth that the status quo is apolitical, when in reality it is probably the most political view of the world because change happens naturally and any attempt to resist that change must involve political action.

8 Likes

Can we all agree that Ben Carson is the GOP “Rain Man”?

Whatever skills he has in a brain surgery operating room do not carry over into making intelligent remarks in public.

There’s a reason why no one who is claiming Dr. Seuss was “cancelled” is reading from or showing the actual works in question - because they not only know they can’t defend it, but because they themselves don’t even want to be associated with it, rather ironically, as they’re apparently demanding that the Seuss estate continue to do so.

My understanding is these books were poor sellers to begin with, so the choice to just not publish them anymore was simply the easiest path. They may also have some rule about altering the books, though the image and text of the “Chinaman” with the queue had already been altered in between previous editions (possibly by Dr. Seuss himself, who had at least partially realized how problematic some of his earlier work had been).

8 Likes

He’s as lost reading this thing (that he apparently wrote himself‽) as his luggage once was.

3 Likes

No. He’s just an asshole.

7 Likes

That too. He can be both things.

1 Like

What I mean is, as far as I know, Carson isn’t autistic. He’s just an asshole.

7 Likes

He is kinda hapless in every public appearance he makes. A neurosurgeon who is just so fucking stupid at everything else.

Plus he’s a bigot/thief/asshole.

4 Likes

Watch Ben Carson read his anti-cancel culture poem on Fox News

No! You can’t make me!

6 Likes

Though Seuss changed it to Chinese man, and at some point, Chinese boy later, and changed the skin tone. That was in the 50’s, I think. When even the author realizes that the work is problematic…

4 Likes

Can you believe these people had an issue with Mapplethorpe? Is this really too sexually suggestive for them? They are out of their minds.

cillian-murphy-wat

5 Likes

Georgia O’Keeffe did flowers that gave people uncomfortable thoughts - which is their problem - Mapplethorpe seemed far less suggestive to me.

6 Likes

Yep… sometimes the body is just the body… Really what Helms objected to was a celebration of gay men.

7 Likes

There it is!
That’s nearly always the objection.
I always found if you don’t like to see gay folk fucking, or just doing their thing, then the easiest solution is just to not keep looking.

6 Likes

Carson may have been a great surgeon, but since he entered politics he’s been nothing but a buffoon. I don’t know why the GQP keep him around, unless it’s just so they can point at “my African American.” It’s not like he’s scored huge reactionary policy victories, or peeled droves of Black voters away from the Dems.He just keeps opening his mouth to let the stupid out.

3 Likes

When it comes to prominent minorities in the GOP it’s always about giving their core white voters the cover to say that the people they’re voting for can’t possibly be racist if they’re also being supported by a minority.

4 Likes