Watch Billie Eilish enchanting performance of the 1935 standard "I'm in the Mood for Love"

Originally published at: Watch Billie Eilish enchanting performance of the 1935 standard "I'm in the Mood for Love" | Boing Boing

4 Likes

This sounds really strange to me because the only version I’m familiar with is Lord Tanamo’s. I will accept that is a more personal peculiarity.

10 Likes

The song has been recorded by countless artists, from Charlie Parker to Julie London, Bryan Ferry, Barbara Streisand, and Rod Stewart.

You forgot the cover against which all others must be judged.

14 Likes

This is the one that always pops into my head too!

1 Like

I first heard it by Darla. She’s … somewhat better at singing than Alfalfa, at least.

Eilish sounds great. but it’ll always be Darla’s song to me

7 Likes

The Agrovaters do a cool version of “It Might as Well Be Spring,” which is another standard from around the time of “Mood for Love”, but they renamed it “Super Larger” for reasons presumably only known to them:

2 Likes

Surprised I can’t find Billie Holliday doing it.

7 Likes

I’m familiar with this ska version, but my favorite will always be the Keely Smith and Louis Prima version. I will say that I’m not a fan of Billie Eilish, but holy cow, this version is changing my mind.

Finally, the Trojan Ska Collection?!?!?

6 Likes

Personally, I prefer Aurora, who Eilish has said was her inspiration to start making music.

3 Likes

She has a great voice but not my cup of tea, her version is too slow. Let’s go to the original.

8 Likes

I like her tone in this, and I’m fine with the speed, but damn girl the words have consonants for a reason. Use them!

2 Likes

Which was the one I came to mention.

Which can’t be said about Louis Prima’s.

7 Likes

That’s great.

2 Likes

is not just this song - she’s done others - there’s an old soul in that voice

1 Like

That’s what I’m talking about, tcg.

Then free it and let it go to heaven!

S’alright… but, personally, I prefer a slightly more upbeat version:

4 Likes

I like what Billie’s doing, generally, but I didn’t make it through the first verse of this. I’ve heard a lot of people cover slow songs by making them slower. Fine. But that intentional little stutter at the end of many lines, not hitting the next beat of an already slowed cadence? Loses me every time.

Ah well! On to the next song or cover

1 Like

damn… Jools looks super creepy in this video.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.