Weezer fan convinced band to cover Toto's "Africa"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/30/weezer-fan-convinced-band-to-c.html

3 Likes

That’s delightful.

4 Likes

I’m going to listen to this very soon, but in a way, I feel like I’ve already heard it.

6 Likes

Recently found out that’s a really old song.

9 Likes

front_montage

2 Likes

6 Likes

Hmmm…all this time I thought it was “sure as Kilimanjaro rises like a LEOPARD above the Serengeti”, not “Olympus”. I think my misheard lyric is more poetic, though it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

7 Likes

OMG YES!!!

My version of (This Mortal Coil’s cover of) Van Morrison’s “Come Here My Love” is way better :wink: :

It's a storyline… and paragraphs, they turn to stone

just works more for me than

Yet the storyline, in paragraphs, laid down the same.

Their cover of Rosanna is delightful too (maybe moreso): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8jr-p0lQZo&feature=youtu.be

1 Like

this cover is better

9 Likes

Meh. Similar to their version of Roseanna. Unfortunately, it just sounds like Weezer doing their Toto impersonation. Make it your own, Weezer.

3 Likes

Haha, your version is better. Another misheard (but better) lyric of mine is from Mountain’s “Theme for an Imaginary Western”. I thought it was:
“Oh the sun was in their eyes
And they danced with the tribe…”
not the correct:
“Oh the sun was in their eyes
And the desert was dry…”

I still sing my improved version!

2 Likes

Dear God, I am so glad that I discovered punk and jazz (starting with Mahavishnu) in the '70’s thus pretty much missing out on all that God Damn crap they were calling ‘popular’ music. Did people actually buy and even listen to crap like Toto or Journey? So freaking weird.

1 Like

It is.

The Weezer version just sounds like a remake. Do something original with it.

I actually liked that they didn’t F-around with it too much.

The original is just so iconic, that it would grate (at least to me) if they changed it too much.

2 Likes

I am floored! That’s my old pal Mike, at the Pie in Salt Lake City! I used to go sit in with Mike and Jeff, playing percussion and adding vocals and flute here and there. Nice to see a very talented friend getting recognition. Mike used to head up a very good Jerry Garcia tribute band, and is a walking Grateful Dead encyclopedia. Bonus info: Mike’s daytime job used to be as a defense attorney in northern Utah.

I recommend checking out his website and YouTube channel.

1 Like

Any song in the world is better… their version of Roy Harper’s Another Day is even better than the Kate Bush/Peter Gabriel version.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.