Watch blues maestros Son House and Buddy Guy on TV in 1958

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/13/watch-blues-maestros-son-house-and-buddy-guy-on-tv-in-1958.html

5 Likes

All great. But wait till 24.15 to see Son House WITH Buddy Guy.

2 Likes

I’m continually amazed by what used to be on TV. For example, until a few months ago I didn’t know that this footage even existed, much less that CBS TV filmed it:

…and now that I looked it up, the same producer, Robert Herridge, worked on Camera Three, the above Miles Davis clip (I believe for Robert Herridge Theater), and The Seven Lively Arts:

7 Likes

If you like jazz media archives, and don’t know about the digital collections you can easily apply to browse at the Louis Armstrong House Museum, check it out!

3 Likes

Thx! I didn’t know about that one.

I’d been wondering what to say to get my foot in the door at UDC’s Felix Grant Archive, but then Covid hit…

1 Like

Buddy Guy is still going strong too. I last saw him play at the New Orleans Jazz Fest in 2019 and he still puts on a great show. (Although its one of my favorite all time places, in the covid now the thought of Jazz Fest and 100,000 people packed into the fairgrounds is nightmare fuel)

5 Likes

I took my son to see him in 2014, with Charlie Musselwhite, and yes, what a great show.

4 Likes

Buddy still plays around 130 nights a year (pre-pandemic) and puts on a great show. Highly recommended.

He’s at his best in small venues. One of the best shows I’ve ever been to was seeing Buddy at the long gone Ranch Bowl in Omaha, NE.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.