Watch Brits try to speak like Americans

Originally published at: Watch Brits try to speak like Americans | Boing Boing

7 Likes

The “vegan” trope is interesting. I’m 20 years out from living in Britain but I do recall the small but ever-present hardcore of people who are just astonished that there are people who don’t eat meat at body temperature, congealed blood sarnies, offal cake, etc.

13 Likes

Hats off to a couple of the Southern attempts rather than valley girl.

11 Likes

I dunno. There a LOT of Kiwis, Aussie, and Brit actors doing TV and movies as Americans. Then again they have voice coaches.

8 Likes

The result reveals as much about the imaginative linguistic talents of some Brits at this food at reproducing a variety of “American” accents as it does about the view that these folks think about Americans.

Huh??

Maybe that’s an attempt to imitate a general American illiteracy?

7 Likes

Will there be a “Watch Americans try to speak Like Brits”?

5 Likes

Oblig, a noble Italian effort:

18 Likes

I’ve always enjoyed watching Tony Curtis say “Yonda stands the castle of my faddah”.

11 Likes

Uptalk! - or high rising terminal -

5 Likes

They sound like every other influencer, which isn’t surprising at all.

7 Likes

I got the impression that they’re at a vegan festival, which is why so many people were leaning into the bit.

If only they were hired for roles when their original accents were required. *Glowers at whichever fuckwit cast the “Australian” dude in Mrs Davis *

5 Likes

4 Likes

Well… How about Hugh Laurie (Brit) in House, and Rose McIver (Kiwi) in iZombie and Ghosts?

6 Likes

Or Toni Collette in The United States of Tara?

8 Likes

Or Saoirse Ronan in Lady Bird?

6 Likes

I’m very disappointed to discover that the promised link to previous reporting on the “post-punk accent” was a typo. I was genuinely curious to find out what that was.

4 Likes

So, a lot of Paris Hilton and Kim K. Blech.

3 Likes

Sounds like someone from Manchester? :thinking:

5 Likes

When The Wire was first shown on British satellite television, I honestly thought all the cast were American. It was a bit of a shock to discover Dominic West and Idris Elba were British, and Aidan Gillen was Irish.
Dominic and his family now live in a tiny little village not far from where my family are from, and where a number of my family worked and are buried. He actually lives in the old brewery that’s been beautifully renovated.

13 Likes

Was that “The Vikings”? I loved that movie.

When I was a kid, don’t juge me.

5 Likes