Watch Brits try to speak like Americans

It is a classic.

Ernest Borgnine was a pretty solid actor; and Tony Curtis does a good job of look scared that he’s doing the wrong thing.

Watch Brits try to speak like Americans

“Well, old chap I will certainly give it a go. Ah-hem… Gee willikers, A’ll be hornswoggled, y’ son uva gun!”

Edit: I forgot to add…

7 Likes

I think this is referring specifically to Billie Joe Armstrong and his singing accent, which is inspired by Brit post-punks who sang in an “American” accent, so it’s like American/Brit/American/Brit/Punk

6 Likes

That was a lot better than I expected

There are British actors playing “American” characters on TV who should be taking notes

3 Likes

I was amazed the first time I heard Hugh Laurie without his pretend accent, I never knew. I think that role could have been played with his accent though, not sure why they had him do it that way.

Same thing with Liam Neeson, he could play any role with his own accent and it would be fine.

Either way is still impresses me that they can do it so convincingly.

8 Likes

Have you met this accent?

I LITeralllLLLYYY neverrr herrrd anyONNNNE talk like that!

:wink:

3 Likes

Speaking as a Brit, I thought some of the faux American accents were pretty good, and so were some of the faux British.

5 Likes

In the new Perry Mason the actor playing Perry is Welsh and the actor plating Della is English

2 Likes

Dominic West in the Wire. When I heard his actual voice (sounds posher than the King) I was amazed.

9 Likes

so British vegans think an American accent is Karen from California. got it.

they do it well, though, I must say

4 Likes
7 Likes

…but nowt like morrrissssey.

2 Likes

ending with the quotes from Snatch…

Chefs Kiss GIF by Brittany Broski

6 Likes

as an American, it is with deep regret that I say that many of these pass for my ears. Robert Mitchum and the leprechaun and Tom Cruise and many others sucked, though. even I could hear that. but a good amount of those actors, if I didn’t recognize them as actors and they spoke to me as in the video, I probably wouldn’t question their nationality.

but I get it. in the US, Hollywood continues to foist (frequently"wacky") characters with Southern accents on us. nobody in the industry (i.e. NY or LA) can tell the difference, just like I can’t really tell about the Irish accents in your example, so they are frequently terrible. this actress on Seinfeld is one of the worst I’ve ever heard (it doesn’t help that her delivery and overall acting ability is highly sus.) I wonder how it passes on your end?

5 Likes

God, I do hope not. It’s much harder for us Yankistanis - all they hafta do is flatten their vowels.

That typed, it was hard not to notice how much broader (than Great Lakes staters’) many Suthun Cahloforniyahns’ vowels were when I lived there in the early 90s.

When I did a S. Cahloforniyahn accent for my English friend, she insisted I was doing her accent instead. I laughed and told her my English accent is diabolical unless I parody a snooty upper class twit (RP pronunciation dontyewknow Old Thing), and to her predicted blended horror and amusement, I demonstrated. Then I did a sort of Lord and Lady Horseface snooty RP, and she cracked up.

When I did Lord and Lady Horseface for a Jamaican friend who’d lived in England, she LHAO and said I sounded remarkably like the Lord and Lady Horseface for whom she’d been a hunt groom. XD Nailed it!

It’s always amused me when an English actor puts on a perfect Yank accent, but their fellow countryfolk who wrote the script used at least one idiom or bit of slang with which few Yanks would be flamiliar. HA!

ETA: If that tik tok vid was made at Coachella, it would explain the preponderance of valley girl-sounding UK imitators. It’s like, way easier to imitate something you’re hearing all the time, dude.

4 Likes

I couldn’t figure out what accent she was attempting. A mish-mash of regional snippets.

4 Likes

One of them was Pierce Brosnan.

Another is Mick Jagger, which, yeah, fair play, his Irish accent is awful. But the character he was playing was the bushranger Ned Kelly, who almost certainly had an Australian accent.

4 Likes

try using Brave. Cuts waaaaay back on the ads

6 Likes

Pierce Brosnan actually is Irish.

Sean Connery is Scottish, which has a relation to Northern Irish accents.

3 Likes

Least convincing Russian Sub captain ever.
:slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Better than his attempt at Spanish:

5 Likes