Watch: Cleaning stadium seats with a flamethrower

Originally published at: Watch: Cleaning stadium seats with a flamethrower | Boing Boing

1 Like

Yeah, you can use heat guns to melt the oxidized surface off plastic chairs. People so.etimes use the same technique for restoring the color on plastic car parts.

15 Likes

New definition of the “hot seat”.

7 Likes

It’s just a torch… Christ, not everything with a bit of flame is flame thrower. I can get a 3" flame on an adjustable Bic lighter, not a flame thrower.

24 Likes

I can imagine being a kid and attempting this at home…

5 Likes

Yeah, it’s not really “cleaning”. It is “flame polishing” with a weed burner.
I’ve done this on edges of plexiglas after sanding, it melts the top layer and any scratches just melt together.

Still impressive and soothing to watch.

26 Likes

Why’s everybody looking at me?

9 Likes

I picture Florida Man trying this, with predictable results.

4 Likes

Common weed torch. Not just for weeds!

4 Likes

I recently used my weed torch to burn paint off of old metal garden furniture. Many uses!

5 Likes

Not exactly a specialized tool. $25 at Harbor Freight.

6 Likes

Nobody’s looking at you, stop being paranoid. You can also ignore those cameras.

8 Likes

We always called torches like that a “rose bud.” Used it to burn stubborn weeds growing through cracks on concrete and heat tar on roofs and things like that.

3 Likes

It was his sled…

4 Likes

You had to make it creepy.

I always thought “weed torch” was just stoner slang for a Zippo.

5 Likes

Does anyone with more knowledge about polymers than I have care to chime in on how effective this is, and whether it has any long-term negative effects on the seats? Are plasticizers getting vaporized, making the seats more brittle over time? Or is this common practice?

3 Likes

You’re not creeped out by the cameras you can’t see, why would you be creeped out by the ones you can?

1 Like

Are the fumes non-toxic?

1 Like

It’s not paranoia if they’re really out to get you.

1 Like