The Boring Company's Not a Flamethrower is a joke compared to actual flamethrowers

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/17/the-boring-companys-not-a-fl.html

5 Likes

That things just my $35 weed burner wrapped in a NERF gun.

18 Likes
4 Likes

8 Likes

Hmmm. A bbq lighter, then?

4 Likes

I pick my teeth with not a flamethrower.

only-buy-propane-from-a-licensed-dealer-shes-a-clean-burning-fuel

12 Likes

I’d concerned about these people in possession of a flame-thrower if I was not distracted by the two tanks sitting in the background…

3 Likes

why do those weapons aficionados always need to fly a huge fucking flag?

5 Likes

Not just that - you forgot the most important parts: The official Boring Co. logo on the side, and the Certificate of Authenticity.

You see, in addition to being a weed burner wrapped in a nerf gun, it’s also a piece of Branded Novelty Collectible Merchandise. (And a really funny and really fun one, too.)

If you don’t get that part, I can understand your bemusement. (-:

4 Likes

Oh yeah the M9 was a son of a bitch. I wouldn’t want to use one or have one used on me. The M1 and M2s in WWII burnt out a lot of Nazis out of pill boxes.

3 Likes

Don’t tell Elon Musk, or he will issue a baseless accusation that you are a pedophile.

8 Likes

It’s a joke?

Why, yes: specifically, a joke from Spaceballs.

After 50k hats, we will start selling The Boring Company flamethrower

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) December 11, 2017

I know it’s a little off-brand, but kids love it

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) December 11, 2017

It’s not an actual flamethrower?

Um, yeah, it’s “Not a Flamethrower”.

Just like it says on the box.

I don’t know what we’d do without this sort of incisive, insightful investigative reporting. (-:

8 Likes

Boing Boing’s been going in for some odd topics lately.

You know those Apple Products you turn in to be recycled? Apple RECYCLES THEM! Shocking.

And that thing that says it’s not a flamethrower? It’s a terrible flamethrower next to real ones!

ETA: I learned things from both posts. Just the presentation and headlines have been weird.

2 Likes

If we could only figure out a way to incorporate Jarts into this scenario…

6 Likes

What’s that from? I feel I should recognise it.

He’s now being sued:

https://twitter.com/drewharwell/status/1041750319112368128

6 Likes

Wow, I hadn’t seen that one. He had it coming and deserves to lose (or try and settle, though I hope the dude refuses all offers and makes him go to court).

3 Likes

So, it works (or doesn’t) as advertised? OK, then.

Yeah, you should.

John Carpenter’s the Thing.

6 Likes