WATCH: Connecticut State Troopers accidentally recorded themselves discussing plans to falsify a police report, and they got away with it

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/01/watch-connecticut-state-troop.html

10 Likes

“Why don’t you trust cops? You think we’re all criminals just because of what you see and hear? That’s prejudiced.”

30 Likes

Probably the officers feared for their lives, right?

8 Likes

enemy of my enemy is my friend in this case, I suppose…

11 Likes

“Internal investigation” riiight. How about some external oversight, and personal liability.

15 Likes

I know that’s a point to make but if ever there was a crushingly obvious example of “if we let them do it to our adversaries they will do it to us” it’s corrupt policing.

28 Likes

and they got away with it

Of coarse they did, we can’t have the po po side lined by something trivial like this.

[note sadly the sarcasm]

11 Likes

There’s no actual policing. It’s a gang of mercenary reprobates.

9 Likes

Did the camera get their microexpressions?

Tip: Always have at least one more camera than they know about.

22 Likes

Officer, police thyself!

2 Likes

That’s the problem. They do. For some definition of “police”.

Anyway, can any defense attorney use this video to shred these troopers’ credibility in any case where they’re brought as a witness for the prosecution? “You were filmed on video in this previous case plotting how to falsify a police report. How can we trust that this time you didn’t plant evidence (without stupidly recording yourself?)”

That seems like a heaping helping of reasonable doubt right there.

21 Likes

Who will guard the guardians?

6 Likes

I dunno…the Coast Guard?

6 Likes

I totally agree, I needed a sincerity tag on that post, but even those just come off as double-plus-internet-unsarcasm…

4 Likes

police-property
I don’t even know what to say about this. It’s state property and he’s a state trooper, so l’État, c’est lui?

13 Likes

giphy

I probably don’t agree with everything Mr. Picard has to say or his method of saying it but I sincerely hope some of these authority figures suffer some repercussions for abusing that authority. It would be nice to not have to wonder if the cops are forever conspiring against you.

5 Likes

Not defending the police in the video, but the post leaves out that the guy is a gun rights activist that did have a visible gun in a holster at the time. That changes the cops “claim” that people saw him with a gun. Still other things wrong with this and we need to make it so that everything cops do is transparent public record.

They won’t. They’ve already been exonerated of any wrongdoing by their own “internal investigation”.

Don’t worry, the guys who are their buddies and coworkers union brothers say they did nothing wrong.

5 Likes

It doesn’t change the fact that they were lying about people complaining at all. Also if that is legal in CT, it doesn’t justify them treating him any differently from anyone else.

4 Likes

So… who am I supposed to feel friendly with here? The terrorist or the thugs? Hmm…