Watch crane collapse onto boat, causing a terrible oil spill in the Galapagos Islands

I am far from an expert, but by “volatile” I meant that I figured it would probably evaporate on its own with a (comparatively) minor impact. It would, after all, not be completely unexpected for news outlets to hype up a story during a slow news cycle. But maybe that’s just wishful thinking.

Anecdotally, I found this to be true. I worked for a steel yard that had two employees, one for deliveries and one for forklift operation around the yard. The younger (17 year old) employee got the forklift job because I wouldn’t take it because I knew the owner didn’t keep up the equipment and I didn’t have the experience to operate it safely. He was happy and many loads were dropped.

Remember that when you open a plastic container for your daily nutritional needs.

As others have stated, the crane was not sufficient to lift that load, nor was the operator positioned properly. Plus, the crane operator was most likely poorly trained and inexperienced.

What a bunch of donkey dicks. At least the vessel looks smaller than I at first imagined.

It could be of some use, but it’s hardly volatile:

I never said diesel was volatile. I said you can light it with a match just fine. That video demonstrates it is less volatile than gasoline which is of course true, because gasoline has fumes which ignite whereas diesel doesn’t (which is why, as everyone knows, diesel doesn’t explode from sparks). But trust me, it lights up very well indeed. I have lit thousands of campfires with it and it’s far more than “some use”. Try getting your knowledge from life experience rather than contrived YouTube demonstrations.

1 Like

Well, yes and no. A puddle of diesel will not light with a match. Paper or wood soaked in diesel will, but it takes a bit to get going. It has to get hot enough to start evaporating before it burns well.

That is what my comment was regarding, which you replied to. (Scan up)

In any case, I am not trying to pick a fight. I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you aren’t either.

1 Like

Actually heating oil and diesel are mostly the same product. Heating oil is dyed so that authorities can tell if you have heating oil in your on road diesel vehicles. Diesel is taxed for road use and heating oil is not so running on heating oil is a heavy fine.

The only real difference now is on road (taxed), and off road diesel (non taxed) are low sulfur products, while heating oil can still have a higher sulfur content, but that is changing.

Home heating oil is refereed to as #2 and to light it in an oil burner, it has to be atomized by a nozzle. #1 oil is kerosene.

2 Likes

I don’t really understand why this story is hyped as ‘a terrible oil spill’, while it’s just par for the course for any sinking boat.

A few 100 gallons of diesel will float on the water and evaporate in a few weeks or so. It’s bad of course, but with words like ‘a terrible oil spill’ I imagine deep-water-horizon like nastyness which is on a completely different scale.

1 Like

Yep, but now, the crane used last time to lift it up, is also in the water…

2 Likes

There are a lot of restrictions in the Galapagos, the people get by.
They fish spiny lobster by hand with a long tube to the tank on the boat
and, one presumes, rocks in their pockets.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.