Watch: Darth Vader arrives in new Star Wars 'Rogue One' trailer

The trailers look promising. And – if the “stories” aren’t as divorced from the characters of the other movies as Darth Vader’s appearance suggests… we get yet another potential Rey parent in this Jyn person!

Also–I really hope they don’t waste Ben Mendelsohn as just another glaring/shouting stereotypical evil empire bad guy.

As for those complaining about the physics of Star Destroyers entering atmosphere–I can’t hear you over all the sounds of things exploding in space.

15 Likes

Now, we don’t know for sure that is Darth Vader, people… it could be anyone in a cape and helmet… and… a breathing problem…

5 Likes

If he’s doing anything less than slowly, methodically-yet-chaotically causing his dysfunctional family to self destruct, they’re wasting his talents.

1 Like

God I love Bloodline.

1 Like

Are you referring to Ban Mendelsohn’s character - the one in the white cloak? That’s Director Otto Krennic - not Thrawn. Thrawn isn’t in Rogue One - tho he will be in the next season (S3?) of Rebels.

Pretty much everyone dies getting the plans, per ANH. My hope (no pun intended) is that when we see Jyn Erso in Tie Pilot gear that’s how she ends up surviving- by joining the empire.

1 Like

OMG, I can’t believe I’m being that guy but this:

Could be described as Snow + X, but in no way Snow + A.

A-Wings only have two engines, it’s the X’s that have four… In fact, those engines even have the basic look/feel of Phase 1 X-Wing propulsion systems.

Also, why do we call them snow speeders when they were having trouble adapting them to the cold on Hoth? Wouldn’t a “snow” speeder already have de-icer systems (or whatever) built in?

8 Likes

From the trailer alone, I’d thought that was Ben Stiller.

Well, That Guy, does the T70 have two engines or four?

HOW DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE

7 Likes

It’s got four, it’s just got cold air intakes to make it go faster :thumbsup:

Don’t forget, they only look like that when in “attack position” - the intakes are halved to streamline it when in normal flight?

I thought it looked weird- but “technically??” the plumbing would still work just fine.

3 Likes

No. There are clearly turbine impellers in there. Those don’t work split in half, for very obvious reasons.

And where are the go-faster stickers anyway

4 Likes

They were air speeders adapted for the cold. So now they are snow speeders.

Not that Star Wars has very creative naming schemes half the time. Though I prefer it to the stuff in the books where every other character has an apostrophe in their name. Not sure who started that, but it needs to stop.

I also wish they would stop with “letter wing”. It made total sense with the X-Wing and Y-Wing. It made little to no sense for the others. Z-95 Headhunter. See, you don’t need to make it a Letter-Wing.

That was my 2nd biggest technical nitpick of the new movie, that the engines appears to have turbine thingies, but only half a turbine.

2 Likes

Hunh. Perhaps these are the many Bothens, then? Before this trailer I thought the movie was set after RotJ. Consider me intrigued.

Also, am I allowed to call Donnie Yen as my favorite character? Because it’s either him or the skinny metal Baymax.

what was the first

was it the planet magically sucking fusion energy from a sun

or was it poe dameron magically knowing how to fly a TIE fighter like all spaceships are pretty much the same controls, like cars today, even though that doesn’t make any sense either

or was it whoa since when do TIE fighters carry two people

or was it in 40 years somehow Han Solo has never borrowed Chewie’s bowcaster

3 Likes

Source

13 Likes

I really thought I was going to hear “NEVER TELL ME THE ODDS” right there.

4 Likes

I saw Forest Whitaker and got shivers up my spine and the whole trailer continued giving me shivers all the way through. I don’t care if star destroyers can play in atmosphere or not. I just want epic awesome story telling. I’m sold. :smiley:

It was inside a space station and the Franklin (smaller ship than the Enterprise-whichever) wasn’t traveling in water, just under an improbable aqueduct system. When the Franklin does hit water, it’s about what you expect would happen: abandon ship, wow this is going to be a mess to clean up out of the water supply.

The space station itself is incredibly absurd but it’s JJ-verse …

If you can get past the JJ-verse issues, Simon Pegg did a stunning job of writing a good Star Trek movie. Not a great one but still a good one. With plausibly moping Kirk and Star Fleet being a metaphor for families you build yourself and appropriate homages (in stark contrast to Into Cumberbund) to other stuff. It’s a solid movie. You just have to get past the JJ-verse stuff.

1 Like

When I first heard of this I thought “Wow, a movie about Rogue Squadron? I might watch another Star Wars movie!” But it seems to feature a lot of people shooting things while not in starfighters, so i dunno… Did Rogue Squadron get thrown out with the “All the cool shit is no longer canon,” dump?

Should have painted it red then!

5 Likes

The X-Wings all have Rogue callsigns in RotJ, so not everything about Rogue Squadron has been thrown out the window.

But yes, the comics, the books, the video games, they’re all kaput.

2 Likes

So from the trailer I see a female convicted criminal being given a second chance by being asked to become an action hero version of Edward Snowden, and then leading a band of sand-drenched rebels with head wraps who fire RPGs at colonial “law and order” machines.

How’s it play in red states?

11 Likes