Watch: Darth Vader arrives in new Star Wars 'Rogue One' trailer

I have to say, though, I reeeeallly think it’s time to retire the tired “the odds of us succeeding are xxx.xxxx percent” line in science fiction movies and tv shows. That was old in Spock’s day.

4 Likes

So, what you’re saying is, never tell us the odds?

17 Likes

In general I like JJ a lot but temperamentally he’s just not suited to the STverse. The cast is beyond reproach, but why are they in service of Fast And Furious IN SPAAACE instead of a proper analytical + occasional weird two-fisted shoulder-punching Trek.

7 Likes

Yes. That. And the ability to launch it across star systems instantaneously.

Of course, realistically it would have been pretty boring.

“FIRE THE WEAPON OF ULTIMATE POWAAARRRR!!!”

THOOOOOOMMMMM!!!****

“That… that’s it? Look at the screens, those planets are still there.”

“Yeah, well, they are like 50 light years away. Even moving at twice the speed of light, it will take 25 years to reach them.”

“25 YEARS! I don’t have that long to wait! The old Death Star brought instantaneous death!”

“Yeah, well it had a massive, though slow, Hyper Drive. They could get there in a much shorter time span and then blow it up directly.”

“Grrrr…”

“But, but… uh - think of it this way! Think of the dread! The impending doom! Sure it is 25 years off, but pretty soon, in a couple decades, they are going to finally have to pack things up, load up everyone on ships, and leave the planet! Abandon the only place they called home - forever! And then a few years later it will be vaporized into space dust! That’s, like, hardcore evil there.”

“Grrrrrrmmrrmm…25… yearrrss???”

“Hey, we managed to find a way to transport a massive bolt of energy at 2x the speed of light! That is breaking the laws of physics right there! It was all in the proposal specs!”

****Throws tantrum *****

That bugged me too. That and why was he taking the gun from Chewie? I am like, what, the wookie can’t shoot? Didn’t he do it twice where Chewie was regulated as a squire, holding the knights weapon? If it was any character other than an alien, there would be shouts of using horrible tropes.

It is the new, roomier model, with extra trunk space.

11 Likes

Yep, Han had it right. It wasn’t that he had anything against odds per se, either. He was just sick of the cliche.

5 Likes

Agreed. This trailer gave me a whole 08th MS team vibe to me big time.

There was a throw away line at the resistance base about Starkiller base having a HyperSpace weapon. So that solves that problem at least.

1 Like

“Waitaminute…”

“Sir?”

“25 light years away… Did you aim at where the star is now, or where it will be in 25 years?”

“We calculated where it is in the sky right now, and added 25 years of drift. We’re not idiots, you know.”

“Wait. Where it is in the sky right now, or where it is in space right now? Because you need to add 50 years of drift for the former, and only 25 for the latter.”

“…Crap. You’re right.”

10 Likes

Or in space.

…and they split in half every time they “lock S-Foils in attack position” - so basically every time they go pew-pew-pew which is their primary function.

So they can’t be what you think they look like.

3 Likes

Actually those two things didn’t bother me because 1) yeah, a good pilot should be able to pilot the two. There shouldn’t be anything super different in controls. 2) We don’t know how much room is in a tie fighter per se. In the movies it was never shown. In Rebels it was shown there is extra room. Another feasible idea is a 2 seater trainer model. At any rate, neither of those bothered me.

Yeah. I heard it. No, it wasn’t enough.

“We should get droids for this shit…”

1 Like

So then, next time they used the 'ol air speeders on, say, Tatooine there was some guy tapping his foot while A friend of his died of exposure in the Dune Sea all while mechanics apologized because they were having trouble retrofitting / adapting them for the heat?

Mind Blown :boom: now that I think about it like that it totally makes sense.

Cuz they would work great in space too?

1 Like

They did at least mention that the Starkiller base had a “translight energy beam” or something to that effect. Impossible, sure. But so are most of the physics in Star Wars.

4 Likes

“I can’t hear you over all the sounds of things exploding in space.” Bwahahaha! You win the Internet today. : )

4 Likes

Pfft. That’s probably a white Thrawn. I mean, who has more cachet? Thrawn or some guy nobody knows?

It’s what they should do to make more money.

If you like Thrawn so darn much, go watch Rebels, it’s the only way you’re going to get to see him & it’s exceedingly good.

Besides, Thrawn’s got blue skin.

I can’t wear an Embassy Suites bathrobe like a cloak and suddenly make good, layered, tactical decisions and cause the galaxy to shudder in fear at the very mention of my name. I’d have to stay at a Holiday Inn Express for that - but they don’t have the nice bathrobes.

2 Likes

@Mister44 - I thought that SKB was moved to the same solar system as its targets prior to firing?
Drawing energy from the local sun. A two fer one punch weapon. Blow up what you don’t like today, subject what’s left to the early death of its star tomorrow.

1 Like

There was no indication at all that SKB did any moving in the film. It was a small planet. It would logically have to move if it drained its local star to power itself (which then of course made no logical sense of why having a hyper space weapon you had to move to power up)

It’s one of those details I like to not worry about and just move on with.

3 Likes

I just figured it was just another War World variant. That could also travel in hyperspace.

1 Like

Oh for sure. It just seemed to me that the whole concept wasn’t fully thought out/fleshed out in the film to be completely plausible.

2 Likes

Well, it was going to be blown up by those pesky kids in about two hours anyway. Why bother?

4 Likes