Watch Depeche Mode live on TV in 1982

You find Kein Mehrheit Fur Der Mitleid is particularly funny? Strange that! :wink:

Flip that…

I (finally!) saw them live last year, and I got very introspective thinking about their songs, and why I’ve always liked them. I think it’s the vulnerability in their lyrics. Twee pop, sure, sometimes, but it’s always been a much less hostile form of masculinity than almost all the rest of pop culture. That’s worth a lot.

2 Likes

The contrast between With Sympathy… and their later stuff is quite jarring to say the least. But, it’s all worth it to hear Al Jourgensen’s fake British accent.

As much as I loved Ministry’s later stuff, With Sympathy… is actually a guilty pleasure of mine. It’s just so over the top it presents itself as more of a parody of New Wave. It’s hard to listen to Effigy (I’m Not An) without laughing at its absurdity.

1 Like

Does anybody like the Human League??

2 Likes

A long time ago, I was a DJ and music director at a radio station. I think it was right before Money came out - KMFDM mailed out a list of things that KMFDM could stand for. My memory tells me that it was a collection of “suggestions” that college DJs had made, but that’s stretching my memory. My favorite was

Kiss My Furious Dog, Mister

I had the pleasure of interviewing Sascha Konietzko for our radio station - he was, hands down, the most articulate and interesting musician I interviewed in 3.5 years of working radio.

One of my friends once asked me how I could like both KMFDM and Depeche Mode, but I never saw a problem - Sex on the Flag & New Dress? Perfect together.

2 Likes

This line of thinking is just crazy to me. It’s not like music is some sort of zero sum game. I listen to all kinds of crazy and contradictory stuff.

2 Likes

Everyone but Al Jourgensen loves With Sympathy…

1 Like

I know, right. How can you NOT like both!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.