Watch this 1970 audience as Kraftwerk plays in their first recorded concert video

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/11/29/watch-this-1970-audience-as-kr.html

6 Likes

This is one of my favorite Kraftwerk concert videos.

Also, Can played that show too!

I also really dig this Kraftwerk video from 1971; It’s just Florian Schneider, Klaus Dinger, and Michael Rother, so the band at that point is actually more NEU! than Kraftwerk (though it’s still Kraftwerk’s song):

7 Likes
2 Likes

I can’t say I am a big Kraftwerk fan, per se. But, I am a huge fan of some of the music inspired by and the genres who evolved from it.

1 Like

You must at least enjoy “Pocket Calculator”—if not for the catchiness, then certainly for the goofiness!

English lyrics:

I’m the operator
With my pocket calculator
I am adding
And subtracting
I’m controlling
And composing
By pressing down a special key
It plays a little melody

6 Likes

OH I certainly appreciate both their inventiveness and their ground breaking sound.

With a lot of early trend setters, they originators sort of started the rough mold, but later iterations “perfected” it. In the genres I like, some rap, techno/electronica, and industrial there are many clear examples. With a group like KMFDM who has spanned decades, their early stuff is a lot less polished than their later stuff.

2 Likes

autobahn

6 Likes

I’ve been lucky enough to see Kraftwerk play live 3 times – including their 3D show at the Hollywood Bowl. I’ve always loved them.

1 Like

Getting a Marty McFly vibe

also isn’t that a young Angela Merkel with the short blonde hair and glasses?

These men are nihilists, there’s nothing to be afraid of.

2 Likes

looks like they had fun fun fun

1 Like

I saw those guys.
Man I was bored.

They got better! :slight_smile: (Seriously better)

wow…how good was that!

I thought this was the typical audience reaction to Kraftwerk:

5 Likes

She was born in East Germany, so probably not our Angela…

1 Like

Wore out Europe Endless on my cassette tape. :bullettrain_front:

1 Like

Merkel was born in 1954 in Hamburg (West Germany) and moved to East Germany as an infant when her father, a Lutheran clergyman, received a pastorate in Perleberg.
But no, as the FDJ usually didn’t organise outings to decadent capitalistic pop concerts, thats probably not young Angela Dorothea Kasner in the video.

2 Likes

never seen this, great live version of Oh Yeah - one of my faves, fantastic thanks - I got so used to this re-mix I almost forgot the original

2 Likes

That’s pretty close to how I feel about the Parappa The Rapper remix of Can’s b-side “Turtles Have Short Legs”

1 Like