Watch Kraftwerk's earliest concert video and witness the birth of the man-machines

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/25/watch-kraftwerks-earliest-co.html

3 Likes

Wow parts of that sounded like the kind of happy hardcore and techno you could hear at any early 90’s rave. And this was from a year before i was born.

3 Likes

Concertgoer 1: “What are they doing? Why is it taking them so long to get started?”
Concertgoer 2: “Shush. They’re artists.”

8 Likes

I remember seeing the Grateful Dead on the Old Grey Whistle Test one new year; after about 10 minutes, we finally worked out that they weren’t tuning up.

7 Likes

I love these guys in principle, but I’ve never heard one Kraftwerk song I liked. Why couldn’t they be DEVO?

1 Like

I feel the exact same way about DEVO, good in principle only. Though I think Kraftwerk is highly listenable by contrast.

4 Likes

Oh, no! Not the start of another DEVO/Kraftwerk flame war! :wink:

13 Likes

I’ve got an uncontrollable urge to avoid that flame war.

6 Likes

#whynotboth?

3 Likes

autobahn

4 Likes
5 Likes

The second track (17:00-ish) really stomps.

1 Like

8 Likes

Early concertgoers thought the same thing about the opening to Ravel’s ‘Daphnis and Chloe’.

2 Likes

In a parallel universe, Kraftwerk and Devo did produce a joint album.

2 Likes

DEVO-Machine Music :smiley:

2 Likes

When this video was first published on the internet I swooned. Questions anyone should ask upon watching it are:

• How did that enormous video projection system even work? (hint: Eidophor)
  • How many people there had even the faintest idea of the significance of what they were seeing?
    (My mostly Kraftwerk site, fwiw: http://davesanborn.blogspot.com )
3 Likes

I wonder how many of the audience talked about how awful “that band” was for a couple of days after, later forgot they were even there and then fought with their kids 2o something years later about that “stupid techno music” that just isn’t music at all and thankfully didn’t happen when they themselves were young…

3 Likes

How dare you disagree?

Guards! Seize him!

2 Likes

Nothing?

2 Likes