Watch: Family on a boat rescues a bear whose head is trapped in a container

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/29/watch-family-on-a-boat-rescue.html

15 Likes

Huh, the tub of honey wasn’t just a Disney plot invention.

23 Likes

You mean they violently rip off his PPE!?!

Just kidding. That is some real heroism right there. There was no way to know that the bear wouldn’t react violently after the fact and they took the risk anyway. Also, that woman is a great leader.

23 Likes

It was just a bear cub, and it was in the water so it couldn’t do too much to the people in the boat. It’s still nice with people taking the time to help animals in need.

I’ve done the same to a cat that had gotten stuck, which is slightly less impressive. It was smart enough to realize that a human was likely to help, although once the plastic “space helmet” was off it disappeared in the blink of an eye.

8 Likes

It looked a little bigger than a cub, maybe an adolescent. We live in bear country and see them all the time, but that’s hard to tell from the water. Still, I wouldn’t want to piss off any bear. Even a cub could kick my ass. And if it’s a cub, mama is somewhere very close.

13 Likes

While not easy for the bear, it was probably easier to get it off its head while in the water than if it was still on land.

8 Likes

Heffalump cryptid!

7 Likes

Great stuff. One bear saved from the hunnypot.

(And let me be the first to say that if she’d held the phone horizontally that bear’s head would not have popped out of frame twice or more in the first segment and we might have actually seen the first, nearly successful attempt. Vertical video … grrrrrr.)

2 Likes

Hiding below the surface? That was an unexpected sequel to Jaws.

8 Likes

I like that, as the video ends, they are speaking about making sure it safely gets to shore. No telling how exhausted that poor thing was. These are good people…we need more good people.

8 Likes

I’m glad this had a happy ending. I needed that today.

6 Likes

7 Likes

So that comes off the bucket list.

3 Likes
5 Likes

It’s nice that what humans have fucked up, we can occasionally correct.
We need more of this.

The bear made it to shore right near those parked campers, where it was promptly shot.

Sometimes vertical video is warranted. But 95% of the time, no, you’re just losing most of your subject and insulting your intended audience. In general, vertical video makes people underestimate your IQ by about 10 points, and in the case of these people, that seems like a dangerous thing.

I would have given this useful pot to Eeyore after everyone had a good laugh…somehow at Eeyore’s expense.

1 Like

Wonderful! Thank you, @Carla_Sinclair

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.