Watch: Fans come to the rescue when a dangling cat falls from a high deck

Originally published at: Watch: Fans come to the rescue when a dangling cat falls from a high deck | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Clapping Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

15 Likes

Weirdly enough there was a good chance that the cat would’ve survived the fall, probably injured but it might’ve still been ok. I’ve read stories of cats falling from greater heights and surviving. That said i’m really glad people saw what was happening and made an effort to break its fall

13 Likes

For once all that flag waving came to good use. The kitty didn’t even have to sacrifice one of its lives.

13 Likes

Cats do have a way of getting up into high places they probably shouldn’t be. . .

17 Likes

My cousins wife does pet sitting/walking, etc, and she went to a house with 4 cats and couldn’t find one, and then she showed a pic of it perched above the front door. I have no idea how it got there, as there doesn’t seem to be something close to it to climb up or jump.

5 Likes

“They caught the cat… and the crowd goes wild!”

4 Likes

“Ceiling cat. . . was cheering for the visiting team!”

2 Likes

this is somewhat a localish news story (HR Stadium is about 2 hour drive from here) and the Miami ABC10 affiliate reported that the terrified kitty bit and clawed the hell out of its well-intentioned “saviours”. poor thing, of course it did! all that noise, people grabbing, holding it up “like Simba”, one man said. it also was wearing a blue collar. no idea how kitteh got in there, but this all had to be a shocking fright. unbelievable!

7 Likes

life of brian GIF

4 Likes

Cats can generally (though not always) survive a terminal velocity fall onto a flat surface. The danger would have been it landing across a seat back where it couldn’t use its legs to cushion the fall. If it instead landed in the aisle or on someone’s head, it probably would have been fine, though I can’t say the same for the head…claws hurt.

3 Likes

Yeah assuming the cat could land on an even surface they might’ve been able to land (reasonably) ok, its pretty wild that some animals can survive falls from amazing heights.

2 Likes

Is there a house attached to the door ?

6 Likes

I read a study that said cats are more likely to survive falling from a higher level than a lower one. The bend in the curve was somewhere around two or four stories. The theory is that in a short fall, the cat tenses up. In a longer fall, it has time to orient itself and spread itself flat, which decreases its terminal velocity and helps to distribute the impact over a larger surface and the relax limbs and dissipate much of the energy. (The study was a review of a bunch of case reports from a veterinary practice. They investigators didn’t drop cats from various heights. Well, they didn’t admit to dropping cats.)

3 Likes

Vertical wind tunnels. :wink:

We called my daughter’s cat “Parkour cat” She would run up the wall, cross a doorway, and run down the other side. Just for fun.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.