How do cats always land on their feet?

[Read the post]

1 Like

Has anybody here ever actually performed the experiment involving strapping buttered bread to the back of a cat?

19 Likes

Have the people who say this ever seen actual cats? They don’t.

10 Likes

For some reason I found the ending, with this “that’s right, motherfucker” expression, worth watching about ten times.

18 Likes

Without having watched the video, is the answer “they twist around real quick”?

9 Likes

That doesn’t answer the question of how they know which way “down” is when they’re in freefall. Is that visual or do they use their fur to sense which way the air is moving past their body? Or a combination of the two?

1 Like

I will never tire of watching super slo-mo of cats doing cat-fu.

But the mechanism is well documented and the physics is understood.

Also, as @Modusoperandi observes above, they don’t actually always land on their feet.

Still, by serval-ing up this video, you have caracal-ed me up :smiley_cat:

16 Likes

We all know the true purpose of posing the question is to justify playing catch with kittens.

8 Likes

The problem with that is avoiding the pointed bits that are on the feet and in their mouths. Once one could get past that, tying the buttered toast on is a cinch (if you tighten it properly).

And then there’s the problem of keeping the buttered toast away from the cat, as many of them do like butter…

12 Likes

And I’m in a “I like everyone’s comment on this post” kind of mood.

12 Likes

They don’t always; but the circular spine helps them manage it more often than not.

5 Likes

Aha! At last we meet! You aced my favorite screen handle. You… monster!
haha!
It’s OK, I’m over it now (I’ll send you the bill for all the therapy)

5 Likes

What do cats do in zero gravity?

EDIT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAWuMd6GOfs[quote=“Boundegar, post:2, topic:76095, full:true”]
Has anybody here ever actually performed the experiment involving strapping buttered bread to the back of a cat?
[/quote]

16 Likes
10 Likes

Now you’re just being ridiculous. They don’t even make baseball gloves that small. Even if they did, the cats would just stalk them for awhile before pouncing on them, then ignoring them and losing them under the couch.

7 Likes

The lack of opposable thumbs also poses a problem…for them.

We humans are glad cats don’t have thumbs. The last thing we need are those furry little devils being capable of opening doors and cabinets, being able to steal our car keys, or worse pull triggers on firearms. As the experience of many a lonely deceased cat lady will tell you, cats have no problem with using their bipedal servants as food when the mood and opportunity hits them.

4 Likes

The trick is you gotta put some spin into your throw.

6 Likes

And there was the Flying Karamazov Brothers’ spin on this: two adorable fuzzy kittens and a stuffed one. All done very safely on a little table and all three just sort of flopping over each other - until one of them was launched with great height into the audience. I seem to recall him holding up an extra stuffed one during the trajectory, too.

3 Likes

Spot on. And that diagram is perfect!

(speaking of Spot…)

2 Likes

The lack of thumbs doesn’t seem to slow them down when they’re motivated. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6813SgG-6Rk But why bother when you can just whine until the humans open it?

5 Likes