Watch firefighters rescue rat stuck in manhole cover

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/27/watch-firefighters-rescue-rat.html

9 Likes

I’m waiting for Nostradumbass to tweet “video footage of Democrats rescuing awful person Michael Cohen”

3 Likes

This is one gritty “Winnie the Pooh” reboot.

21 Likes

I’m divided on this. It’s not nice to see an animal suffer, but then I’m sure the city of Bensheim, like most decent sized cities, has a public official in charge of controlling the rat population.

In other words, city officials free the rat so it can get killed in a trap set by other city officials.

It’s like a metaphor for existence.

16 Likes

The twist is that some jerks here in Germany allready complained that tax money is wasted to rescure a vermin. First of all the fire fighter payed the good deed out ouf their own pockets. Second no animal, even a rat, doesn´t deserve to die like that.

17 Likes

Did anyone else notice the awesome, easy-to-empty, low-tech leaf and debris shield, hanging under the manhole cover?

2 Likes

Rats are wonderful little animals. I had two as pets and will stand against anyone who unfairly maligns the furballs.

(Though I concede that they can be pests too (but then again, stray cats/dogs can be as well))

12 Likes

My side job at our uni psych lab gave me a healthy respect (and a grudging appreciation) for rats. Apart from the tendency to gnaw on things (as much as cats scratch furniture and such), they can make serviceable pets.

5 Likes

Mammals being awesome!

3 Likes

I’m sure the firefighters (who are trained problem solvers) welcomed the chance to get out of their station and do something besides fighting a fire.

Kudos for resisting the urge to pull a “Little Rascals” and roll the cover down the road with the rat still stuck in.

5 Likes

Serviceable? Of all the pocket pets, rats are the best. They are kind, affectionate, and easily socialized. Unlike gerbils which want nothing to do with you, and hamsters who are outright bitey bastards. I have had the pleasure of owing several rats and would have more if they didn’t seem to live just long enough for you to become quite attached to them.

9 Likes

Control yourself!!! :slight_smile: Rats are cool.

In the psych lab job, I had unintentionally “ruined” a couple of them (part of a group in a behavioral study) by being friendly with them. (We had to pull them from the study.) They’d hunker down comfortably in the crook of my arm and were quite amenable to petting. Also, I could gently hold them under their forearms and stroke their dangling bodies until they relaxed completely and stretched out like spaghetti!. They’d just look at me the whole time, twitching their whiskers. Totally docile!

5 Likes

Cats’ upset call strike , refuse to climb anymore trees.

2 Likes

“Oh, bother!” :blush:

I was thinking The Further Adventures of Charlotte and Wilbur: Templeton is Eurotrash.

3 Likes

The Further Secrets of N.I.M.H.

4 Likes

Sundance and Cassidy were my two when I was in my early twenties.

I see Remy has succumbed to the temptation faced by all great chefs.

3 Likes

Maybe Norway rats are a native species in Germany? In the rest of the world it’d be our duty to dispatch it quickly and move on.

Lawn mower.

twas the sewer depts job in the first place. flip the lid n push out w a stick. easy. been there (yes, former sewer worker) second: it could be compared to dems saving michael cohen. they kill rats all the time you just don’t know it.