Rats given tiny backpacks and microphones and sent to rescue people trapped in earthquake rubble

Originally published at: Rats given tiny backpacks and microphones and sent to rescue people trapped in earthquake rubble | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Albatross not included.

24 Likes

They only need some little Tupperware containers with slices of pizza, like St. Bernard dogs and their casks of brandy.

15 Likes

“Here I am trapped in a collapsed building; how can this possible get any worse?.. RATS! RATS! RAAAATS!!!”

22 Likes

Cool! I’m pretty sure those are African Giant rats, which are already heroes for being trained to locate mines in minefields without being heavy enough to set them off.

14 Likes

Yes. Better if they are trained to speak.

“Everybody remain calm. I am Ratso, king of the underworld, and you will do everything I say.”

7 Likes

Oh look they have microphones……RATS DOING KARAOKE!!!

13 Likes

“I thought I was doing okay after having a building fall on me, but clearly I’m in worse shape than I realized - I’m hallucinating rats wearing little backpacks… Oh god, now it’s talking to me!”

14 Likes

“Sir! Do you require medical attention??”

21 Likes

hold on podcast GIF by Earwolf

10 Likes

the brandy barrels seen around the necks of Saint Bernards was the invention of the artist, Edwin Landseer, who, as a 17-year-old in 1820, painted, “Alpine Mastiffs Reanimating a Distressed Traveler.”

The kids are alright.

15 Likes

Underage drinking. Outrageous.

4 Likes

Well you have to remember that back in 1820 the legal drinking age was six and you could get a rental car from Hertz by age eight.

I wonder if that kid made up any other myths to mess with people. “As you can clearly see from this documentary painting I made, shipwreck survivors found off the coast of Bora Bora are frequently rescued by dolphins bearing daiquiris and hookers.”

17 Likes

Edwin Landseer, originator of the Sexy Mermaid myth.

10 Likes

If I were caught in a miserable situation, I think having a friendly rat say hello would be at least cheering.

8 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy:

4 Likes

And they can help get rid of the remains.

3 Likes

Finally, we have redefined Ratpack.

9 Likes

Yup, because if the rubble didn’t kill me, seeing those rescue rats probably would! Watched too much of this as a kid:

3 Likes

Yeah, I know. I just didn’t want to be the “Well, actually…” guy in this thread. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes