WATCH: friends enter The Matrix via their 140-camera array

[Permalink]

Reading the newspaper: Nice touch!

Aww cmon, you could see the wires plain as day. Also, I bet those weren’t real men at all. They were plasticine.

We need some extra-cheap camera modules with global shutter. (Anybody got a candidate?) The idea is adding a microcontroller for communication, daisychaining the cams to a bus, taking a shot simultaneously or with predefined cam-to-cam delay, then clocking the data out from the individual sensors at leisure. 10 milliseconds for the shot, 5 minutes for data readout; would be worth it if the cam cost is kept low enough.

The cellphone camera modules are pretty cheap, but they usually don’t get global shutter so they are of little use for higher-speed photography. :frowning:

Do cameras even use shutters any more? It seems like it would be easy enough to run hundreds of digital cameras from a common clock. Of course, that’s easy for me to say, since I haven’t done it!

The camera sensors do not use mechanical shutters. What is called a shutter is a mechanism that resets the light-sensitive cells, lets them integrate signal for a defined time, and then copies the cell content into a buffer from which they are read out.

The global shutter does this for all the cells at once. The rolling shutter exposes/reads out only one line at a time. (The details are more complex than this, though. The important part is that with a global shutter we got the scene as-is, with rolling shutter we get different parts at different moments.)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.