Watch: "Godspeed You! Black Emperor," a short 1976 documentary about a Japanese motorcycle youth subculture

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/14/watch-godspeed-you-black-e.html

1 Like

Obligatory:

4 Likes

The car’s on fire and there’s no driver at the wheel
And the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides

6 Likes

That would make a good band name…
EDIT: and I see that got a mention. So um nevermind.

5 Likes

Man, that big-ass Kawasaki sounds nice. Too much bike for me!

1 Like

I’m not a fan of biker culture but those guys were anti-establishment in a country with a conviction rate of over 99%. Respect.

2 Likes

Since when is 1.5 hours considered “short”? I’m not mad, was expecting 15 minutes.

9 Likes

bōsōzoku literally translates as “running-wild tribe”, which is pretty badass.

We woke up one morning and fell a little further down -
For sure it’s the valley of death

I open up my wallet
And it’s full of blood

2 Likes

Just a couple of weeks ago we played ‘what band would you still travel to see?’ (having kids makes that a much more complicated question than it used to be).

GY!BE was my only immediate and definite yes. When they last came round the Bay Area we were flying home that day so couldn’t make it, but seriously considered trying to catch the next show up in Seattle a couple of nights later. (With tickets like a third of the price of the SF show, adding the flight and hotel would’ve came to pretty much the same cost. (But alas…kiddos).

1 Like

64 or 74 minutes back in the day b-movies proper.
Modern run time appears to be 40 minutes but there is no official length.
But 90+ minutes is indeed feature length

1 Like

I didn’t know there was a film, I thought this was about the band, which is local. I just recognize the name, never heard them and obviously know nothing about them.

So this is the first I heard that their name comes from anywere.

So that’s where this came from.

Bosozoku is also the name for the subculture around that intentionally outrageous car styling. You know these when you see them- wheels with so much camber the car is barely driveable, exhaust pipes that extend vertically 6’ and fork, ground effects trim that extends 6’ in front of the car, the sort of thing. No hyperbole here- the cars really are that outrageous, and intentionally so. It’s not about poorly mimicking race cars as most teenage boy styling is- this is way beyond that and into some other mindset.

Did this form of bosozoku evolve from the motorcycle outlaw culture, or is it a different, unrelated thing with the same name?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.