Watch: In 1996, George Carlin outed the "pro-life" GOP for what they really are

His last remark (that would be something Christ would do) reminds me of this:

“The unborn” are a convenient group of people to advocate for. They never make demands of you; they are morally uncomplicated, unlike the incarcerated, addicted, or the chronically poor; they don’t resent your condescension or complain that you are not politically correct; unlike widows, they don’t ask you to question patriarchy; unlike orphans, they don’t need money, education, or childcare; unlike aliens, they don’t bring all that racial, cultural, and religious baggage that you dislike; they allow you to feel good about yourself without any work at creating or maintaining relationships; and when they are born, you can forget about them, because they cease to be unborn. It’s almost as if, by being born, they have died to you. You can love the unborn and advocate for them without substantially challenging your own wealth, power, or privilege, without re-imagining social structures, apologizing, or making reparations to anyone. They are, in short, the perfect people to love if you want to claim you love Jesus but actually dislike people who breathe. Prisoners? Immigrants? The sick? The poor? Widows? Orphans? All the groups that are specifically mentioned in the Bible? They all get thrown under the bus for the unborn.

– Methodist pastor Dave Barnhart from Birmingham, Alabama

30 Likes

Fetus worshipers

7 Likes

giphy-12

6 Likes

1982 was 40 years ago.

I was 7.

11 Likes

I was 15-16 in '82. tophat-sad tophat-cry

10 Likes

I graduated college in 1980. It was a million years ago.

12 Likes

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Titus Burgess GIF by NETFLIX
I remember 1996 as the year my nephew was born! They grow up so fast…:older_woman:t4:

12 Likes

I was legal to drive. Whee!

9 Likes

I turned 10 in 1982.

Damn, I feel old.

5 Likes

I was 26

6 Likes

It was. Also, it was yesterday.

10 Likes

My cousin brought her newborn baby to my wedding. That baby is in college now. :older_woman:

11 Likes

Wow, that’s one smart baby!

18 Likes

Ditto. Which I why I know that 1986 was only 20 years ago.

7 Likes

As in most cases in the US and the rest of the world, if you want to know why a powerful group of people are pushing an agenda- follow the money. Unfortunately, most of the wealth of the GOP is derived from having masses and masses of poor. The poor fill the ranks of the Military Industrial Complex after their access to affordable education is restricted. The poor grow and produce the nation’s food at hourly wages often under the minimum. The poor fill the Prison Industrial Complex, becoming a new source of slave labor and the poor are also the victims of the Medical Industrial Complex’s medical “sharecropping” system in which they become indebted and often never come out of again. The GOP are about wealth and power and in order to maintain both, they need more poor people. The worst part about all of this is that the ones who are most affected are also the ones who keep voting for the GOP.

11 Likes

9 Likes

it’s Voltaire time again
Voltaire

15 Likes

ACCURATE

10 Likes

Yes, I agree. I love Carlin and his sense of humor, but his comment about people you wouldn’t want to fuck isn’t that far from the flavor of comments made by Matt Gaetz about women who couldn’t get bumble matches the other day that got so many of us upset.

4 Likes

sigh
Things are more the way they are now than they’ve ever been.

3 Likes