Watch India launch a record 104 satellites in one mission

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/02/16/watch-india-launch-a-record-10.html

1 Like

At what point does it get like ‘Gravity’ up there?

1 Like

Somebody is gonna have to clean that stuff up you know.

7 Likes

It kind of just looks like they are throwing cell phones into space.

2 Likes

I dunno. They’re more about the size of a WWII battlefield radio:

The satellite has a much more powerful transmitter, though, despite having fewer vacuum tubes. (-:

3 Likes

We don’t know for sure (chaotic factors involved), but probably fairly soon unless we figure out a practical way to clean up the orbits.

2 Likes

electrodynamic tethers are rather promising as they are generally simple constructs.

though the experimental one attached to JAXA’s HTV-6 mission failed to deploy a few days ago, simple is unfortunately not identical with easy to build ; )

2 Likes

They will out last us all…

3 Likes

There doesn’t seem to be any attitudinal control; it looks like they are leaving the spacecraft with all kinds of odd and inconsistent angular momentum and there’s no indication of (or room for) any maneuver capability in the satellites.

I have this odd image in my head of a spacesuited Indian man shoveling them out a hatch, but maybe I’ve been reading too much 1930s science fiction lately.

Contrast the MMS, which only has 4 nodes, but literally flies through space in precise formation.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.