Watch indoor plants sway from a breeze half a world away

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/21/watch-indoor-plants-sway-from.html

7 Likes

I guess if you don’t appreciate this particular art installation you could say "It blows."

5 Likes

Oh my GOD it’s an actual wonderful thing! I was afraid they were going extinct in the world.

13 Likes

What if they’re just randomly wiggling? Who would know?

3 Likes

I suppose this could be used to animate grass and trees in vr/movies/other media.

I wonder how the real input compares to a simulation that “looks good”.

2 Likes

This is good. And I think it would be a lot better if there were one plant in Minnesota for each plant in Spain, so that you could see the patterns of rippling and turbulence that you get from real wind.

4 Likes

How do the plants feel about this?

2 Likes

Only the source plant isn’t actually in the ground, it is a dead twig on a pivot point counterbalanced with a few large flat washers. None of this motion is ‘natural’ .

Wishy-washy, neither here nor there.

1 Like

Somehow reminds me of the spruce “carrots” at the Estonian pavilion, Expo 2000.

7 Likes

I thought this was going to be about some kind of newly discovered plant zugunruhe kind of thing, or something creepy like this (narrator: “Yes; I am a tomato,” lol):

1 Like

Plant puppeteering, I like it!

little%20shop

2 Likes

So, ‘it blows’ means bad (as in ‘not good’ not as in ‘good’).
And ‘it sucks’ means bad (as in, etc.)
So ‘my vacuum cleaner is broken’ must mean good?

1 Like

This hoopy frood is hep to the cant fo’ shizzle!

1 Like

My postillion has been struck by language?

1 Like

mike-twohy-instead-of-it-sucks-you-could-say-it-doesn-t-speak-to-me-new-yorker-cartoon_a-l-9168028-8419447

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.