Watch: Japanese tourist guide to Australia

Taking this at face value, and giving a straight answer…

Japan puts mayonnaise on pizza. Along with tuna or ika (squid), usually. Maybe also potato and kernel corn?

No, I am not kidding: 宅配ピザメニュー|宅配ピザ・パスタ - ストロベリーコーンズ

2 Likes

Thanks, it was a sincere question. I was put off by the notion, but more about heating the Mayo than the actual Mayo. Is it put on at the end?
I’ve spent some time in Japan but never ate pizza there. Now I feel like I missed out on something intriguing…

1 Like

Yeah, I think it’s generally put on at the end. If you click through to the Strawberry Cones website, you can see the mayonnaise as the sort of checkerboard pattern on various pizzas.

Once upon a time, when I lived in Japan, I went to my local Italian place for lunch, and their yoshoku (i.e. Western food) special was “mentaiko & mayonnaise pizza.” Mentaiko, if you’re not familiar, is those tiny fluorescent orange fish eggs. In that case, I did not really strive to find out whether the mayo was cooked or whether it was merely drizzled on at the end. Either way sounded pretty revolting to me, so I had the pasta buffet (¥1000, as I recall!) instead.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.