Watch LeVar Burton counter Meghan McCain's 'cancel culture' question

These days that’s kind of like saying “horse manure is one of the more appetizing forms of animal excrement.”

16 Likes

Pretty much this. About the only line with Republicans these days is “pro Trump” or “anti-Trump” but other than that it all the same bullshit. Even supposed “reasonable Republicans” in Congress still voted with Trump nearly 100% of the time.

13 Likes

A manifestation of insanity is being, well, dead to the concept of accountability. So, you know, it’s another way conservatives are limited.

1 Like

My biggest fear for the U.S. (based on experience) is that communicating any amount of nuance takes increasingly more words than the average citizen’s working memory can contain in one thought, or before a trigger word blossoms into defensive cognitive shutdown.

It’s not enough that the adults are back in charge. We need a nationwide refresher course in emotional self-control and de-escalation. This is going to take direct instruction, with clear language about its purpose and importance.

4 Likes

He has mad reading power now… He is like a god.

9 Likes

That was amazingly clear, concise, and positive. “Consequence culture” is going in my phrase bag.

7 Likes

Here’s the key quote from Burton for those who didn’t watch the video:

"In terms of cancel culture, I think it’s misnamed. I think we have a consequence culture. I think consequences are finally encompassing everybody in this society whereas they haven’t been ever in this country…"

11 Likes

All of what you wrote plus literally his voice. It is so soothing.

9 Likes

He has a podcast where he just reads a new short story every week, and it is every bit as soothing as you imagine.

4 Likes

Oh, I know. I love it. Found out about Nnedi Okorafor through that podcast.

2 Likes

It didn’t cut out. It didn’t cite what needed cutting. It cut out ‘othering’ people.

7 Likes

This has just become my go-to line for this kind of conversation.

6 Likes

As an outsider I would have to defer to your knowledge of the intelligence of the audience of this show.

However, if this is making the rounds on social and other media, I think it is a more progressive insight into the reductive idea of ‘cancel culture’ that is often presented as a “slogan” to pitch a simplistic heated argument around.

1 Like

I’ll put it this way, whereas LeVar Burton worked to earn the respect of the public through his skills as an actor, children’s show host and public over the course of over 4 decades,

Meghan McCain’s only claim to fame has been to glom off her illustrious father’s name for a spot on a talk show

Of course he was going run circles around her and come off looking good. BTW he should totally be the new host of Jeopardy

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.