WATCH LIVE: Trump rioters break through barrier and are attempting to break into the Capitol

21 Likes

26 Likes

Totally. The Boston marathon sleuthing clusterfuck would have been the time to ask me what I thought about social media sleuthing and I would have answered very differently.

4 Likes

Does anyone else feel like shaving off their COVID beard after watching this?

6 Likes

They’re certainly giving beards a bad name.

5 Likes
19 Likes

No beard here, but I was annoyed that they co-opted the safety-orange knit cap as part of their uniform. Those are pretty standard around here, esp. during hunting season (even and maybe especially for non-hunters going outside).

8 Likes

Paywalled, but basically it seems like they are leaning into blaming the left…

Same here mostly:

8 Likes

“some with GPS data”

Parler suffered a data breach — the extent of which is still not clear — back in November, which it blamed on a third-party vendor. Business Insider reported at the time that a misconfigured Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud server was to blame for inadvertently exposing Parler users’ data. Parler said no personal user data was exposed. But the breach put a spotlight on some concerning privacy practices at the company; for instance, in order to get a “verified” Parler account, users had to provide their Social Security numbers and upload a photo ID image. The company said it deleted the information once users had been vetted.

The newly scraped data, however, shows videos uploaded to Parler with GPS data, some of which had been deleted and some of which were private. It also has information about site admins.

10 Likes

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

12 Likes

So not only did they get to storm the Capitol at the invitation of some on the Capitol Police department, then leave and get themselves all the way home, but the FBI personally approached them in advance asking them to please not do this, rather than actually arresting them in the first place.

I’d say “unbelievable” but really, this is just par for the course.

17 Likes

White racist privilege; it’s a helluva drug.

13 Likes

Reminder, this topic closes in two hours. A community topic has been opened to continue the discussion:

3 Likes

I’d think the clock could be turned off if necessary?

1 Like

It could be, but Ken recommends a new topic.

5 Likes

I’m not sure you can arrest someone for pre-crime. Going to a protest that is expected to get out of hand isn’t a crime. Unless they specifically threatened to do a crime… :confused:

I just finished watching The Trial of the Chicago 7.

Evidently they were charged under the Rap Brown law, which is part of the 1968 Civil Rights act. The act makes it a federal crime to use interstate or foreign commerce routes or facilities (such as by crossing state lines or through the mail, use of the Internet, or phone calls) to incite a riot, organize, promote or participate in a riot or to extend activities of a riot, or to aid and abet any person performing such activities.

It seems to me that hundred if not thousands of people could be charged with this. Or, like in the trial, the organizers. Only unlike Chicago, the police weren’t the cause of the riot this time.

1 Like

Fair enough.

1 Like

It feels like months since this post started last Wednesday. I wanted to add a photo spread here near the end, as a reminder.

This is nowhere near over.

8 Likes

2nd lashed pist!

6 Likes

Frist! I mean, las!

10 Likes