WATCH: Man changes a lightbulb on a 1500-foot tower

Filing this away under “Jobs you never realized existed”.

Good idea. Probably cost may be the problem, and reliability and engineering issues. 1500 feet of solid-core light pipe will get not only costly but also heavy, a hollow mirrored-inside tube may be prone to corrosion over the years.

It sounds like you have a unique business opportunity then to turn the entire industry on its head and make billions of dollars.

I wonder why nobody else has done it first.

1 Like

The Pogue LED power supply has been suppressed by big electronics.

Yes, that’s exactly what I meant. The presence of the tower itself has nothing to do with the need for either the lightbulb or the red and white paint or the no-fly zone around it.

People will buy the crap because they are too cheap for the added cost and too dumb to know better. The vendors for those who know better have much smaller market segment and gouge it because they can.

(Edit: There is also an information asymmetry between the vendor and the buyer; without access to the documentation or at least a teardown you have no chance to know in advance if the added $5 in cost went to better capacitors or to a better CEO’s yacht. Also known as the lemon problem.)

As for myself, I’ll just do aftermarket mods (preventive replacement and beefing up the caps, beefing up the heatsinks, in extreme cases replacing the switching FET for a higher rated one) on the off-the-shelf crapola. Satisfies my needs without breaking the bank and I don’t have to invest to a startup with an uphill battle. And you can do the same.

1 Like

YEAH. I’m not usually one for reactions like that on movies, but I could feel my gut sway and sphincter clench during several parts of this. Wow.

IIRC there is also the issue (upon reaching the top) of being so close to a (presumably) functioning transmitter. Same reason that most of us wouldn’t put a living organism in the microwave.

Hey!

Kansas, Nebraska, and Oklahoma are all quite interesting† during tornado season!

† for values of “interesting” that approach terrifying :smile:

1 Like

Ski lift tower?

Three observations:

1. Wow, it completely looks CGI, not saying it is, but it’s funny how the movies actually look more “realistic”. Maybe it’s the weird lens distortion.

2. Wouldn’t that just suck if he brought the wrong-sized bulb?

3. Why not have the damned drone change the bulb??

Hell, let’s dump the lightbulb entirely – so 19th century! We’ll just use the laser to continuously keep a phosphorescent coating at the tip of the tower glowing!

2 Likes

Well, it’s a bit pre-Cambrian, but I suppose there’s nothing wrong with that.

And when you finally find a company that does produce high quality stuff, somewhere along the line they get bought out (or start going bankrupt) and change the internals with no warning…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.