Watch: man discovers labyrinth behind his bookshelf

Interesting, I’ve never come across any so far, the closest being a full fledged cellar.

That is an airspace used for preventing damp, they are ventilated to keep air moving through them and there should be a damp course (often slate). Once that is bridged outside the wall then damp can rise.

2 Likes

Exactly. Which is why the sub-floor space extends to below external ground level and above it to where the ground floor floorboards are - above the damp course. The footings bridge the ground level, and the damp course is usually 2-3 brick courses above that. The ground floor joists and floorboards are above the damp course.

The air-bricks that allow air to enter and ventilate below the joists and floorboards, are also a regular entry point for mice in our house (field mice) and are stuffed with wire wool, which hopefully still permits enough ventilation, but stops the little buggers getting in.

1 Like

Seeing Victoria Coren Mitchell flail on the current series of Taskmaster, I can believe that…

(And yes, I know she partly plays it up for the camera)

1 Like

I was thinking of the final scene of Phantasm.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.