Watch: Michael Flynn leads Pledge of Allegiance at Trump rally, but dagnabit, forgets the words

I led the pigeons to the flag, and to the Republic for Richard Stans…
…one nation, under guard, in a dirigible, with libertine justice for all

7 Likes

My mom once told me my being about to enter school in the US was a huge factor in why my parents decided that was the time to move to Canada.

Interestingly, despite never being forced to learn it, I was able to recite it perfectly to myself just now. Flynn is a disgrace.

3 Likes

21 Likes

The last two words of the Star Spangled Banner being “Play Ball!”

10 Likes

The grifters are making money.
The cultists are going to church.
Everybody’s happy.

15 Likes

You think that’s bad. I can recite it, and I’m not even American. That’s how deeply American popular culture has ingrained itself over here. There is no escape.

8 Likes

Don’t turn blue holding your breath.

Thus it may be considered a truly aspirational notion.

(always the bamboozled privates are sent to jail - so seldom the generals)

1 Like

Weird, he remembered all the words with no problems when he pledged his allegiance to Qanon…

3 Likes

Nothing inherently wrong with an American adult being unable to recite the pledge from memory… unless of course he’s in the middle of a monologue lecturing an audience about how gosh-darned important the pledge is and demanding they pay close attention to every word.

12 Likes

My nephew just had his Eagle Scout ceremony last weekend, and i had not problem remembering the pledge, even though it probably has been decades since I have said it.

3 Likes
3 Likes

“something something pepsi cola burned him up, now he’s drinking seven up” I remember that. Little kids were homophobic assholes in the 80s.

1 Like

“…and to the puppet strings under which I dance…”

3 Likes

In the gospels, Jesus implies that there is a difference between hearing and listening-- “Anyone here with two good ears had better listen” is how the Scholar’s Translation brusquely puts it. One is meant to think about what the parables mean, how each word is a metaphor for something else.

It’s possible that the church of Q-Anon has some strange spin on listening vs hearing. Perhaps it’s identical to what Christians who take their bible study seriously are taught to think, and Mike Flynn keeps forgetting his lines.

Alternatively, it’s an exhoration to hear rather than listen, feel instead of thinking, so that the chants of a fascist rally can drive one into an altered state, free of the responsibilities and burdens of independent thought.

"Today we celebrate the first glorious anniversary of the Information Purification Directives.
We have created for the first time in all history a garden of pure ideology, where each worker may bloom, secure from the pests of any contradictory true thoughts.
Our Unification of Thoughts is more powerful a weapon than any fleet or army on earth.
We are one people, with one will, one resolve, one cause.
Our enemies shall talk themselves to death and we will bury them with their own confusion.

1 Like

The stupid just rolls off of Trump-chumps in waves.

1 Like

Sorry, I didn’t finish my thought properly. Flynn is a disgrace because he couldn’t do it at an event he knew he would be doing it at and while trying to play the ‘Patriot’ card.

4 Likes

Well, that and a lot of other reasons.

4 Likes

No, they left in disgust months ago.

5 Likes

The original words:

I pledge allegiance to my flag, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

No mention of America or God. The United States of America was added to specify which flag, and the “under God” was to differentiate us from the Godless Commies during the 1950s.

Basically this thing hasn’t been around 125 years yet, and it keeps getting changed to mean whatever people want it to mean. Perhaps that’s what the kiddos should take away from it when they’re hearing it and not merely listening to it.

12 Likes

My thoughts exactly.

7 Likes