Watch Nirvana play "Smells Like Teen Spirit" two days after Nevermind's release

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/08/31/watch-nirvana-play-smells-li.html

4 Likes

Nice find. I used to frequent a bar that looked very much like that called “The Trasheteria”. It was falling a apart, and had a giant paper mache lizard on ceiling. I miss that place.

3 Likes

The Moon was a short-lived and tiny club run by the guy that used to book punk shows at the Night Shift Cafe in Naugatuck Connecticut (Sonic Youth, Pussy Galore, Dinosaur Jr. all played at this townie bar in a strip mall outside Waterbury).

My brother was at this Nirvana show (can’t make him out in the crowd) and said Cobain came out with a fruit platter they were given back stage, held it over his head, and tossed it onto the crowd.

5 Likes

Thanks to Jo Wiley, on Channel 4’s The Word twelve days later (8th November 91)

3 Likes

Live takes of that song always snag me. I can’t really listen to the album version anymore, maybe because I’ve heard it ten billion times, but live recordings gotta be played from start to finish. It’s just got that extra bit of enthusiasm that sucks my ears in.

This one in particular has pretty good audio. A lot of the live recordings out there have bad mixes or clipping (probably from being copied to new bootlegs a zillion times).

5 Likes

saw them about two weeks after this to a packed First Ave in Minneapolis. Urge Overkill opened and the crowd was dead silent just wanting Nirvana to play. Felt really bad for UO.

earlier that day they did an in-store set to a very small crowd of maybe 100 people that was totally awesome. Believe there is audio of that somewhere on youtube.

2 Likes

You from Peterborough Ontario? If so, you might be sad to know it’s now a burger joint…

2 Likes

:heart:

:broken_heart:

2 Likes

Kurt seems a bit…sarcastic in this one. And that is the most early '90s stage I’ve ever seen!

Drain You has always been my favorite Nirvana song and this version is freaking great.

I’ve been to the one in Peterborough, but the one I was thinking of was in Guelph, which was also replaced about 15 years ago. I think they had the same owner.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.