Watch North Korean officials' reactions to hearing K-Pop for the first time

Right?

Thing is, they seemed to have played a very subdued set, which I’m sure was due to the regime’s demands.

They did put out an album after this of covers from the Sound of Music, which was great.

4 Likes

Laibach covering my favorite musical sounds like fun! to the rabbit hole…

4 Likes

You can really see how creepy this song kind of is with Miran singing the young man’s part:

7 Likes

Laibach also prepared a version of the North Korean song We Will Go to Mount Paektu, which the censors did not allow them to perform.

Here they are performing it in South Korea.

And here is an orthodox North Korean interpretation.

4 Likes

I’m consistently impressed at their ability to turn even the most cheesy apolitical stuff (like Live is Life or Final Countdown) into something so fashy.

That’s their whole deal, to reveal the underlying problems of such cheesy apolitical stuff. They’ve gotten quite good at it over the years. The war years probably helped in that.

3 Likes

When you are literally afraid for your life to show even the most fleeting expression.
I’d pity them,
but each of them is there and not in a hovel, because of the people they destroyed on the way up.

Or the people their fathers and grandfathers destroyed. North Korea, being a de facto hereditary monarchy, has a de facto hereditary aristocracy of “revolutionary families” descended from Kim Il Sung’s closest comrades.

Does Laibach typically have a female vocalist, or was the a guest/colab?

2 Likes

Depends on the performance/album/song/etc. Mina Spiler, who is a member of Melodrom, has been working with Laibach for a while (she was on Volk, Spectre, on this tour of NK, etc), but lately, it’s been Marina Martensson instead.

There are just a few core members, and you can never tell who is going to turn up in the line up, but that’s meant to be the point, that everyone is a cog that’s replaceable in the visual representation of the band.

3 Likes

one set of mercilessly trained creatures contemplates another.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.