Dear Leader Kim Jong Un declares K-Pop a "vicious cancer"

Originally published at: Dear Leader Kim Jong Un declares K-Pop a "vicious cancer" | Boing Boing

5 Likes
17 Likes

It’s a bit stronger than I would put it.

10 Likes

Looks like somebody got ear wormed.

17 Likes

He sounds like a mother father gentleman.

8 Likes

A bit general. Maybe just Gangnam Style.

7 Likes

Well, to play the devils advocate…
He is not wrong…

7 Likes

Finally, a reason to like it.

13 Likes

Un declares K-Pop a “vicious cancer”

178197-ruby-rhod-bravo-gif-imgur-tumb-EQtR

6 Likes

I’m not sure if Kim Jong Un is as worried about the music as much as he might be worried about K-Pop’s fans’ activism:

While the fanbase as a whole isn’t united behind any one cause, some of them have made their opinions known, getting involved in raising money for BLM and charities, and buying up signing up for large numbers of unused tickets to Trump rallies, in order to embarrass Cheetolini with empty seats. If they ever decided to get involved with Korean politics or issues, they could pose a problem for The Powers That Be… and I think Kim might be aware of that.

I don’t listen to the music, so I have no real opinion about that. But I can respect the K-Pop fans who came together to make a positive impact in the world, just as I respect members of any fandom who utilize their community to do good. It’s a bit odd to think of solidarity with K-Pop fans, but stranger things have happened…

:wink: :laughing:

Edirted for correction to ticket info, thanks to @allenk

37 Likes

Uh, excuse me, Dear Leader…

25 Likes

Has anyone else checked out the local FYE’s selection of K-pop and thought “damn this album packaging is sublime!” Or is it just me?

4 Likes

He just disrespected the K-Pop stan?

Now he’s in trouble.

15 Likes

There’s some interesting scholarship out there on the South Korean government’s use and promotion of K-Pop asa form of soft-power diplomacy.

19 Likes

That’s what I was thinking. Bong Joon Ho’s statue after Parasite? Burning? BTS McDonalds? Ideological power play

2 Likes

culturenkorea

13 Likes

Thankfully, they didn’t actually put money in the hands of the Trump campaign, they just registered for free tickets.

13 Likes

The kids in North Korea these days aren’t into warmed-over operas from China’s Cultural Revolution glorifying juche? What a surprise.

11 Likes

Can we? Yes we can.

[1] BTW: My Dear Wife and I cover K-Pop tunes in Psycho Billy, so the Bravo was intentionally positive.

[2] BTW: In the future just ask me, instead of judging me [I know you are better than that]. And have an awesome day while you’re at it.

10 Likes

Obligatory:

(This was made in 2006. I don’t speak any Korean, but I think that the guy with a goatee and an afro at the beginning is meant to be Kim Jong Il’s heir. Kim Jong Un was still unknown then.)

6 Likes