Watch PancakeBot 3D print a flapjack dinosaur

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/04/watch-pancakebot-3d-print-a-fl.html

4 Likes

Present or preset?

2 Likes

Both present and preset options!

3 Likes

Needs a feed screw, then. Something like this?

3 Likes

There have been a number of designed floated for ‘paste extruders’ for 3D printers. The auger-in-a-tube extruder you’re describing is something that most-frequently crops up in use on pellet extruders, either printers that take plastic pellets instead of filament or devices that take in pellets and extrude filament. Such extruders tend to be harder to control volumetrically than extruders built around compressed-air ram extruders (the one on the pancakebot would be an economic example – here’s a heavier one for printing ceramics: https://www.stoneflower3d.com/store/ram-extruders-and-spare-parts/)

Pancakebot appears to have done a really nice job making a cheap compressed-air ram extruder, I wish they’d sell just their pump, bottle, and solenoid valve assemblies (I’m assuming it uses such to reverse the flow) for use on existing printers. I’d play with that. Too bad they appear to be filing patents on their extrusion process (according to a video the creator of the Pancakebot posted). I can understand why they’d want the IP that but it could have an unfortunate effect on the future of open-source paste extrusion.

I had to google image search that particular auger you’ve posted, and it turns out it’s actually a pipe for smoking weed, with some kind of grinder at the end. I’m not sure I completely understand it. Could be a well-engineered auger for use in some device that doesn’t involve THC, though I’m not sure how the grinder part works, it might need removal.

I’ve been researching paste extruders from the sidelines for forever since there are all sorts of fun things that could be made with such. From foods, to printing directly in silicone, etc. A design that keeps popping up that’s used in many scientific and industrial settings is a moineau or progressive-cavity pump. Those combine the strengths of the auger with precise volumetric control, but unfortunately they have to be built to tight tolerances and tend to be very expensive. At some point someone’s going to come up with a winning cheap open-source moineau extruder and paste-extrusion is going to get much easier.

4 Likes

Super informative post, thank you! I am intrigued by the idea of printing porcelain.

(I posted the “twisty glass blunt” as an example of a feed screw because it’s something of a running gag around here, they’re sold in the BB store.)

1 Like

Making them look like dinosaurs or spaceships probably makes them that much tastier.

Now I want pancakes.

1 Like

Let us not forget the Eggbot, the ChefJet, the Barilla pasta printer, the NASA pizza printer, the Foodini, and a whole bunch of others.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.