WATCH: QVC hosts argue over whether the moon is a star or a planet

Exactly. If astrology were accurate, we’d all be identical, vague, shapeless people with no personalties to speak of.

Taurus: “You enjoy being with your friends, but quiet time by yourself is important too”
Virgo: “Socialization plays a big role in your life, but solitary introspection will guide your path”
Libra: “You love to meet new people and go new places, it’s also paramount you have time to recharge your batteries”

3 Likes

Pisces
Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus
You are the true Lord of the Dance, no matter what those idiots at work say

9 Likes

I prefer to drink Bud Light. I mean, if I have to drink beer. Because beer is nasty. All of it.

Everyone says “Oh, you just haven’t had good beer! Try this!” And of course it’s nasty.

So if beer is my only option, I’ll take an American light beer. Everyone says “Ugh, it’s practically water!” YES. EXACTLY.

Where was I? Right, yes. Basic ignorance of the facts of reality is way the fuck more depressing that failure to conform to your personal gustatory tastes. Now let’s fight about it, yeah!

2 Likes

That is bizarrely hilarious…

It’s from the TV series ‘The Mighty Boosh’. Well worth checking out.

1 Like

Some would say that the Earth is our moon, but that would belittle the name of our moon, which is: The Moon

I think it’s more like Luke Dunphy’s future. I don’t know if he gets any smarter in later season (in Season 2 currrently), but damn that boy is as dumb as a back of briks.

Speaking of the show, I so feel for Alex Dunphy, because I’m the smart, bookish, nerdy younger sister with a slightly older, cooler and more sosial but honestly dumber sister

Carl Sagan talked about seeing the stars as a child and wanting to know what they were, which was the beginning of his desire to be an astronomer. He grew up in Brooklyn. I’m not sure where his old neighborhood is, but I suspect the skies there have been ruined by light pollution, not to mention air pollution. It’s sad to think how many will lose the wonder of looking up because there’s nothing to see.

On the other hand finding out there was a big universe out there had a bad effect on the inhabitants of Krikkit.

3 Likes

Have you ever caught them when they have a live caller who swears at them? Always my favorite moments in my mother’s all-day QVC binges.

I haven’t watched in years. What I remember are the older people calling in who seemed to mistake them for actual friends, which I found sad. But I guess they filled a niche for people who missed having actual friends and had a credit card.

Thanks to the miracle of YouTube, my five year old knows the names of all of the planets and some of their moons, and can tell you which planets you can see from earth without a telescope. He also knows that Saturn has a cat named ‘Orange Juice’.

A more recent study from 2012. Apparently things haven’t gotten any better.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/02/14/277058739/1-in-4-americans-think-the-sun-goes-around-the-earth-survey-says

You may find this hard to believe, but I had a kindergarten teacher who insisted that one could only see the moon during the night. It wouldn’t have been so bad at just that, but when numerous kids in the class contradicted her, saying we had SEEN the moon during the day, she doubled down and continued insisting to us that we were wrong.

This was my first real lesson that one cannot always trust authority figures. Although, one day, thinking back, I thought to myself, there is the SLIGHTEST possibility THAT was the point of the lesson, and she was actually an amazing teacher??

3 Likes

So, the earth has a dark side?!

A possible explanation comes to mind, but it’s disturbing.

In astrology, the sun, and moon are both planets, just like mercury, venus, mars, ceres, jupiter, saturn, uranus, neptune, and pluto.

I guess humanity just isn’t as modern as we thought

1 Like

While certainty and knowledge sometimes grab a pint and hang out certainty and ignorance are bedfellows.

7 Likes

I don’t know if that’s a quote from somewhere or if you came up with it, but I’m writing that down right now. A great way to say that the wisest people often are certain of the least.

2 Likes

made up that saying just now, can’t take an credit for the truth behind it though as that is timeless.

3 Likes

Google doesn’t find any other instances of it with quotes. Brilliant, worth the visit. golf clap

3 Likes

Taurus: contemplate domestic turmoil.
Aquarius: abandon hope for future plans

1 Like