Supermoon!

The Supermoon is here tonight and tomorrow.

Please, just take a look up tonight and tomorrow at moonrise, for she’s/it’s/he’s close, and it’s glorious!

The moon and I are are friends, but that’s another story, you?

Please share your moon stories and pics here, if you feel like it; I’m going to drum up some photos I took once…

Supermoon!

P.S. The moon in the pics is moving, then darkness…

4 Likes

I wouldn’t know where I am… stupid overcast other season in Seattle.

6 Likes

From the edges of greater Chicagoland, I can report that it is in fact a moon and not a space station as we had begun to hope.

So much for pulling an Alderaan to get out of the current state of affairs.

12 Likes

When is it, exactly?

When is the perigee, and when is the full moon?

2 Likes

The moon plays a part in one of my favorite stories about the Zen monk and poet Ryōkan (1758-1831)

Copied from Wikipedia: Ryōkan - Wikipedia

One evening a thief visited Ryōkan’s hut at the base of the mountain only to discover there was nothing to steal. Ryōkan returned and caught him. “You have come a long way to visit me,” he told the prowler, “and you should not return empty-handed. Please take my clothes as a gift.” The thief was bewildered. He took the clothes and slunk away. Ryōkan sat naked, watching the moon. “Poor fellow,” he mused, “I wish I could have given him this beautiful moon.”

This story may be an interpretation of an account mentioned by Ryōkan in a haiku:

盗人に取り残されし窓の月
ぬすっとに とりのこされし まどのつき
nusutto ni / torinokosareshi / mado no tsuki

The thief left it behind:
the moon
at my window.

6 Likes

If he’d have stood up and turned round, he could have done. :laughing:

9 Likes

Oh, you! I did not see that coming :confounded:

7 Likes

I saw it last night about 4am, low on the horizon, huge, and bright orange because of @Mindysan33 's fires.

5 Likes

Too bad; it was a completely clear, frosty night last night in Hamburg. You could see the detail quite clearly, including the rays of ejecta from the main craters. (I was using binoculars and couldn’t take a picture).

7 Likes

5 Likes

My tripod’s broken… :unamused: I really wanted to take a crack at an HDR shot. HDR shots work much, much better with tripods. So I braced the lens on the car with the lens set on a towel. Not ideal for an HDR shot but this one worked. The other dozen+ were crap where some vibration/sliding ruined it so I’m glad I got one.

5 Likes

Child: "But papa, that planet is barren and gray: there are no blue seas, no green plants, no atmosphere! You said our planet used to be a paradise…"
Father: “It was, many many many eons ago, before the United States of America choose Trump to be its Emperor.”

4 Likes

Just in time, as the other Supermoon thread closes soon.

Moon was big and bright and clear as I left the office tonight, and someone in the parking lot was filming it with a small reflector telescope.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 96 days. New replies are no longer allowed.