Watch Ricky Jay's wonderful "Learned Pigs and Fireproof Women" TV special from 1989

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/10/16/watch-ricky-jays-wonderful.html

1 Like

It feels like this is supposed to include a link to somewhere to watch this.

2 Likes

Only a senior member of the Magic Circle may view the historical documents…

6 Likes

Here’s the video.

1 Like

His book of the same title is great reading.

3 Likes

Yeeeee! Ricky Jay and the Uncanny Valley…

1 Like

Ricky Jay is such a damn excellent showman. Watching his specials are always a treat, would really be something to have seen him perform in person.

1 Like

Holy crap! I loved this TV special as a kid, and only saw it once! I wondered for years if I’d actually seen what I had seen, because although “Learned Pigs and Fireproof Women” got me hooked on Ricky Jay, whenever he’d pop up again he was just playing a magician/hustler. I was unsure if I was mistaking him for an actor who got typecast as a magician, or if he was an actual magician. Hey! It’s Ricky Jay on an episode of “X-Files”! There he is again on “House of Games”! All be darned, Ricky got into both “The Prestige” AND “The Illusionist”. That’ll confuse everybody for years. . . .

2 Likes

He also was in the David Mamet film Red Belt, which I liked.

Had a copy of Cards as Weapons when I was in high school. Nice to finally see the master at work.

4 Likes

He’s in a lot (most?) of Mamet’s movies.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.