Watch Salvador Dali mistreat an anteater and talk about his mustache on Dick Cavett

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/02/watch-salvador-dali-mistreat-a.html

And how it got on Dick Cavett we’ll never know…

4 Likes

this post seems to lack a video or image.

5 Likes

I was watching the night of the original broadcast. It was a peak Dick Cavett moment! Poor Lillian Gish was beside herself.

4 Likes

Salvador Dali, Lillian Gish, and Satchel Paige? Was the show regularly booked by someone doing mad libs?

8 Likes

Salvador Dali was kind of a douche.
There, I said it.

5 Likes
4 Likes

I’m starting to think that popular artists can get away with that. Heck. It may even add to the attraction for some out there,

It’s possible that everyone happened to be in town that day. And the anteater didn’t have any plans… so…

5 Likes

Cavett would be disappointed as you don’t seem up on your Marx.

I was referring to the “mustache on Dick Cavett” per the headline.

3 Likes

I howled at Cavett’s remark at 3:05

3 Likes

Hey, the time he had Gloria Swanson on with Janis Joplin was amazing. The two got along really well.

1 Like

6:59 to 7:08 also pretty amazing. Had I been drinking something, it would have shot out of my nose.

All in all this is amazing, and Dali was amazing. I always found it hard to imagine that someone could be both an incredible visual artist, and also capable of turning his entire life into performance art. Did he ever drop the persona, even in private? I should read a biography, probably.

1 Like

“Watch Salvador Dali mistreat an anteater…”

The very definition of a surreal headline.

6 Likes

Benjamin Péret settled for insulting a priest.

1 Like

For me Dali=unwatchable. The real news here was: Satchel Page! Lillian Gish! Those are the interviews I’d like to watch.

2 Likes

That poor anteater doesn’t look happy about the situation at all.

2 Likes

I think everybody already knows, but some people won’t admit it.

He’s probably a good subject for Behind the Bastards, if they decide to do episodes on people who weren’t dictators.

2 Likes

Not like Pablo Picasso, who was never called an asshole.

3 Likes

This one includes Lillian Gish:

I’ve seen nothing on YT on Satchel Paige’s interview. I don’t know how much the terms for fair use and copyright infringement ties into any reason for any of this, but I believe the Dali and Gish portions were taken from the YT Dick Cavett channel which – itself – does not include the Paige interview. I’m sure the entire show is available to that channel… yet does not include Paige whose name is not even recognized when searched for there. (???) There does happen to be a dvd – Dick Cavett Show: Baseball’s Greatest Hits: The Pitchers – which does include the interview. Bottom Line: YT has to catch up.

1 Like

Not in New York, anyway!

4 Likes