On Dick Cavett Show Rod Serling discusses his lack of creative control on Night Gallery (1972)

Originally published at: On Dick Cavett Show Rod Serling discusses his lack of creative control on Night Gallery (1972) | Boing Boing

3 Likes

For such a “happy contented man,” Serling sure is gritting his teeth a lot.

5 Likes

That’s what happens when you’re rich and famous and respected and know it but still have to deal with the suits in Hollywood.

I hope these Cavett clips keep coming. They’re such a pleasure to watch.

5 Likes

Dear Apple:
Please train a new Siri option for Rod’s diction and voice. Please have it insert random cool emPHAtic words like “KNOWledge” and “TIME” and “Space” and “UNIverse.”

2 Likes

Fuckin A, Rod Serling was cool.

7 Likes

The story behind that mysterious TV signal picked up on British TVs…

7 Likes

I just came across this quote of his a month ago, and it I’ve thought about it every day since. Definitely cool:

If you write, fix pipes, grade papers, lay bricks or drive a taxi - do it with a sense of pride. And do it the best you know how. Be cognizant and sympathetic to the guy alongside, because he wants a place in the sun, too. And always…always look past his color, his creed, his religion and the shape of his ears. Look for the whole person. Judge him as the whole person.

4 Likes

Cavett always seems so pleased with himself. And he’s the only one.

1 Like

Rod says that “they were not that hostile” as if violent verbal negotiations are a given… My name is on the show but that’s not me…

As soon as you get out of the writer, talent, production (real production) realm then all the other staff are a waste of creative time. A negative cog in a corporate machine winding down to the goal of the best buck to be made. Genre media is a constant battle with idiots that have no interest in genre media.

1 Like

That need to say something pithy after every comment has led him into some very awkward corners. Example: the Ricard Pryor interview.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.