Watch: "Sickened" Jim Carrey has strong reaction to Will Smith's slap at the Oscars

She’s been super desperate for attention lately- and nothing has been working for her to get it.

4 Likes

Dude, that’s YOUR point, not THE point.

You’re coming across like you think the “real” issue here is class instead of race.

And that claim sounds like (if you’re white), you’re denying even the possibility (let alone the likelihood) that unconscious racial bias could also be motivating your interest in this event.

GIF by Robert E Blackmon

8 Likes

So you don’t see Colour?

7 Likes

Here is a quick self-check:

When a white actor was groped by white industry chief at an awards show, what year was the incident, who were the parties involved, and how many days did you comment about it on social media?

That’s an incident that should be as indelible in our memory (or more so) than this one, but I will admit publicly that I had to look up the details.

8 Likes

Also, Alec Baldwin KILLED SOMEONE ON SET (where he was the producer!), and he’s STILL walking around free, while people are demanding that Will Smith have his oscar revoked and be entirely shunned for a slap… But sure… racism isn’t remotely involved in the reaction.

Also… Polanski, Weinstein, etc…

9 Likes

I’m saying, because this point has been mentioned several times in this topic, that not everyone is freaking out about this and some of us actually, really, honestly, don’t care who did the assaulting.

The whole thing was absurd, here you are watching a dumb awards show and oh my, one of the really famous rich peole just walked up on stage and hit a guy in the face because he made a joke about his wife. Then he sat right back down to later get an award and more famous rich people applauded him.

In the real world, outside of the rich famous peole world, that is not how any of that would have gone down.

So yes, that’s my own personal opinion and it’s how I see it. Of course many people are seeing it the way some people are saying they are but if I can have a different opinion and not see race so can a lot more people.

Not everyone sees this a race thing.

3 Likes

Back on the actual topic at hand, which is Jim Carrey’s hypocrisy:

8 Likes

This event can both be a significant moment and also pale in comparison to any other atrocity.

As for the maga blast I’m unsure where that came from? I have different perspectives and opinions from you, but do you really believe I’m a racism denying boot licker?

1 Like

That’s not how structural racism works. You don’t have to be an active participant to be immersed in it or to benefit from it. You just have to go along with it without examining your own motives and actions.

9 Likes

Who can tell any more?

Episode 2 Idk GIF by The Office

5 Likes

There’s a problem with that mindset:

As overwhelming as the discourse surrounding this fracas has been, there have been a number of voices very clearly pointing out the patterns and racial biases underlying the perceptions of it. That’s important. That’s something we all need to be aware of. Yes, there are also issues of class and privilege and misogyny involved, but as with everything else, it’s all intersectional.

giphy-2

The only way for us to create a more equal and equitable society is to be aware of the problems that exist and consciously act to solve them. If we willfully close our eyes to bias, we will instead wind up perpetuating it.

Sure, it makes things more complex, because we can’t just automatically snap to simple conclusions and solutions. But isn’t it worth the effort to try?

10 Likes

There are literally far more violent events happening in America on a daily basis, that do not involve two Black men. The entire country is shot through with violence of various kinds. This is hardly an example of the actual violence being visited upon various people on a daily basis in this country. To act like this is some major event that is going to cause an uptick in violence is absurd.

The obsession some have with the is generally driven by racism, and some jealousy of the success of both men. And that it’s happening in a space that is traditionally white, but has made some cosmetic changes to avoid further criticism of being yet another racist institution that normalizes white people and ignores any and all accomplishments of POC. You can’t separate that out…

The existence of racism and it’s impact on our public discourse is not an opinion. It’s a fact. Denying it is a common tactic used by people who are made to feel uncomfortable about facts. White Americans can often be violent with impunity, while Black people are constantly held to a much higher standard of decorum. These are not opinions. These are facts.

9 Likes

I never suggested otherwise.

I’m suggesting there are completely different rules for rich famous people, Will Smith is a perfect example and so is Polanski and Baldwin and every other rich person that plays by very different rules than the rest of the world.

Sorry, but that’s how I saw this issue, a couple rich celebrities behaving poorly on live TV. They embarrassed themselves and respectable rich celebrities.

2 Likes

And yet, here we are still participating.

They are seriously talking about revoking Smith’s award… meanwhile, the Academy has never even considered such a thing for the likes of John Wayne, Roman Polanski or any other rich White actor who behaved badly, or even committed crimes; if you genuinely don’t see the glaring disparity therein, then perhaps it IS just another case of fish who cannot begin to conceive of the very water that they inhabit.

13 Likes

This goes both ways - the same way you can point out that statements being used around this event are used by those who want to justify harm and harassment of others, you also have to accept that statements about racism, and the relevance or lack thereof surrounding this event are ALSO being used by these same people.

i.e. pot, meet kettle in this case. This is what it feels like when your arguments are co-opted by bigots, and how it feels to have that pointed out.

10 Likes

Here’s the problem with this. Not seeing it as a race thing ignores the fact that there is “a race thing” inherent to two POC having an altercation like this, and how that will influence the discussion and disposition of responses.

You cannot separate them. It may not apply to you, but you cannot reasonably posit that the overall narrative of this discussion is unaffected by the race of those involved. Because we have vast, wide swaths of history that tell us this is not so. Worse, the “race is not the issue” argument is literally the playbook of bigots.

So yes - fine, you may not see it as a race thing. But in the end, that fact is irrelevant. Because it inescapably is a race thing at some level, and it is critical that people acknowledge that this reality taints all conversation on this subject.

One can simultaneously argue that there is both privilege AND racism in play at the same time here, because that is probably true. But to argue that the latter is somehow not relevant is naive bordering on willful ignorance, IMHO.

10 Likes

Yeah, I see it. And I appreciate your thoughtful eloquence breaking it down.

I appreciate all of you, I learn a lot from you. Have a good day all.

2 Likes

Jim is speaking truth. Many of the late night shows seemed to have much the same take, along with political outlets/podcasts I follow. Good to see that Smith is apologizing to Rock. I hope they work it out.

“Jim” is a fucking attention-seeking hypocrite whose outrage about this incident is merely performative.

9 Likes

Carrey is far more dangerous than Smith, using his bully pulpit to cast doubts on vaccinations and spreading medical misinformation. How many people DIED because people like Carrey did that, I wonder?

7 Likes