Watch: Spectacular air guitar performance by world champion amazes judges

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/27/watch-spectacular-air-guitar.html

4 Likes

Her 2nd performance was during a downpour–she’s lucky she didn’t get electrocuted!

6 Likes

Hellacopters. Extra point for choosing this band!

So. I always thought the point of air guitar was to look like you’re actually playing a guitar. Guess I always had that wrong. Apparently.

13 Likes
2 Likes

Nagura, from Japan, received a (real!) Flying Fin electric guitar as her prize.

What will she do with that?

6 Likes

Frankly, I’m upset* that the prize, a guitar, has no bearing on her skill, which is air guitar. As this award-winning performance illustrates, the two skills are unrelated.

*Internet-upset.

2 Likes

After having binged on Captain Disillusion for the past week I can now tell the original video was recorded with a real guitar and then sloppy mask work was done to remove the the guitar and the shadows were rotoscoped. The rain was added to hide the poor editing. /s

4 Likes

Maybe she’ll pretend to play an air guitar.

2 Likes

Almost as exhilarating as this:

3 Likes

Not just a game of chance!

The performance was energetic and entertaining but yeah… she barely looked like she was miming playing the guitar half the time. Kudos on the win but i was expecting something different as well

5 Likes

You just haven’t kept up with the advancements in air guitar over the last few decades…artistry and enthusiasm are prioritized, and questions like “which hand do you slide around to influence the output pitch of the instrument again?” are considered nitpicky.

3 Likes

Are contestants penalized for a familiarity with the shape and constituent parts of actual guitars?

Mark me down in the “I Don’t Get It” camp.

2 Likes

It is rather difficult to disprove that one could theoretically be playing a guitar, if they had one.

I like that air guitar has become a stylized dance form.

1 Like

If this was the spaz dance championships, I get her win but, air guitar?

No, she’ll play the REAL guitar, but it will be perfectly silent.

3 Likes

Did no one else notice that the emcee was not wearing pants?

1 Like

It was a hot Summer night…

1 Like