Watch Star Wars: Rogue One ending flow into A New Hope beginning

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/03/23/watch-star-wars-rogue-one-end.html

2 Likes

For whatever reason Leia at the end of Rogue One didn’t bother me as much as Tarkin did. It was probably the lighting.

8 Likes

Isn’t is funny how Darth Vader’s cape is flapping about in the wind while standing on the edge of the dock watching Leia’s ship move away? Isn’t this supposed to be in space?

10 Likes

IIRC that was in the secret launch bay Tantive IV was housed in. The “wind” is probably just exhaust thrust from the ship leaving.
But hey, SW has never been one to stick to real physics when it comes to space stuff.
EDIT: Watching the scene again there would have to be some kind of atmospheric shielding in that launch bay. A pretty standard feature in SW tech. If not, those troopers (and probably Vader) would be gasping for breath pretty quickly.

9 Likes

flow into A New Hope

Just worked that line into a song, we need it bad.

4 Likes

There was a lot more Tarkin than Leia, so there’s that.

Also, I didn’t see Rogue One till just a few days after Carrie Fisher died, so I was a little too emotional for that last scene to get really nit-picky.

10 Likes
3 Likes

The Tarkin scenes bothered me a lot during the movie. It really broke the immersion for me.

1 Like

If it’s actually a vacuum, a big billowy sheet of fabric isn’t going to encounter any air resistance to dampen its movement, so any imparted forces will continue to affect it for a much longer period of time than they would in an atmosphere. The oddities of cloth’s behavior in space is a long-standing contributor to people thinking the moon landing was faked. (Because the flag is “waving in the breeze”. On a sound stage. Okay.)

2 Likes

Tarkin looked okay to me, it was Leia that looked slightly off. Not uncanny valley off, but “this is a different actress that only sort of looks right” off.

3 Likes

Isn’t it a shielded bay like all other Star Wars docking bays?

6 Likes

Same to me. I think it was due to the lighting and the lack of red on her cheeks.

A little more on this uncanny valley face on this Cracked article.

2 Likes

in the movie (i.e., in the theatre) it didn’t bother me at all. Looking at the gif loop over and over really shows the uncanny valley of it all, but not 'in the moment", as it were.

Amazingly when I saw Rogue One, I went with a family member who did not know the actor playing Tarkin was deceased. After the movie he commented on how little the actor had aged, before I explained the magic. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

If you listen closely you can hear Vader breathe heavily.

7 Likes

I only said probably since afaik (with the erasure of EU) it is unclear if Vader’s suit has its own O2 supply or not.

I think it’s the mouth. The mouth is weird.

4 Likes

For me it was how skinny they made her face. Carrie Fisher had a much more rounded face.

1 Like

http://imgur.com/u4wGqZH

1 Like

My favorite part is how the sound of Vader’s lightsaber is the bass note of the musical score. It sounds like it triggers a keychange as well, which totally fits the action. Certainly a change of key for those poor Rebels…

5 Likes

If the end scene was Vader’s only appearance in Rogue One, it would have crushed it.

But no, they had to shoehorn him in emoing about and telling dad jokes.

4 Likes