Watch: Teacher lets kids pick "dance," "hug," or "fist bump" from a poster as they enter the classroom

Yikes. This topic makes my happy. Because clearly I am not the most jaded person around me. Ouch. Folks, the teacher is right there with the kids, she is greeting them. They seem to like it. Jeez.

1 Like

This is a government-run school in Thailand; the video definitely was shot before the event and it has been bouncing around the social for a while.

Perhaps the most notable element is that Thai education can be extremely rigid and rote (as you could guess from the military-style uniform that the teacher is wearing). Giving the children some degree of autonomy and a level of respect instead of a more traditional “top-down” attitude is at least somewhat remarkable in any context, but very much so in this context.

12 Likes

Keanu Reeves Reaction GIF

Thanks for the greater context!

10 Likes

The hands-together, Thai-style “wai” likely would be the default option in this context for a schoolchild greeting a teacher. Presumably a child might be able to get away with not doing anything to greet a teacher this progressive (although she might worry about a student who doesn’t engage at all); a more traditional teacher in this context almost certainly has the option of corporal punishment. The other options are more notable for their autonomy, including quite a bit of freedom with the dance option.

7 Likes

You rang?

the addams family horror tv GIF by absurdnoise

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.