Funny video of high school student calling his teachers by their first names

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/05/funny-video-of-high-school-stu.html

2 Likes

I like the teacher who was all “Wait…you like my necklace, what does that mean?!”

6 Likes

God, how high school teachers manage to avoid strangling 6-8 kids per year is beyond me.

38 Likes

OMG, “discombobulated” is the PERFECT word here! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

High school kids are NOTHING compared to Jr. High. Honestly, Jr. High teachers need to be sainted/knighted/idolized/worshipped/memorialized.

18 Likes

The candidate who comes out with a plan to ship out every kid to a kind of insane asylum / penal colony island from ages 13-18 would sweep the electoral college.

5 Likes

Christ, what an asshole. Privilege masquerading as transgression.

13 Likes

Glad you could divine all that so easily. Eesh.

3 Likes

I don’t know what the relationship is between these adults and this young person, but I found that really uncomfortable. Having some kid acting weird and point a camera at you has got to set off all kinds of alarm bells; especially over there in the US.

19 Likes

Kid with camera approaching aggressively. HEY NED. HEY NED. HEY NED.

Meanwhile Ned is like ‘is this kid going to shoot me?’

Yay. The future.

16 Likes

It does.

Personally, I’m immediately wary any time I see people pulling out their phones to record something.

15 Likes

To be fair to the teachers, I think some of their discombobulation is the fact that they’re being filmed. That one guy at the beginning who has his back to the camera seems cool with it for example.

11 Likes

I’m surprised none of the teachers replied by saying “Hello, Mr. Smith” or whatever his last name is. What goes around comes around…

7 Likes

sigh

This sort of shit is run-of-the-mill asshole behavior in schools.
The kid means it to be edgy and badass, and all it (ever) comes across as is uncomfortable.
I was always clear with my students: you can call me by my first name the day you graduate and aren’t a student anymore.
Recording me, on camera, with sound without my express permission? Not ok.

24 Likes

Susan seems like the coolest one.

I’m not sure that the responses of the teachers would have been much different if he did the exact same thing with Mr/ Ms Last Name either. It’s the aggressiveness and the bursting in that is annoying them.

10 Likes

this is so disrespectful and rude - not funny AT ALL

10 Likes

I went back to substitute teach at my old high school after I graduated college. The second-weirdest part was teachers asking me to call them “Ian” or “Cathy”. The weirdest part was the teacher who remained aggressively condescending towards me in the teacher’s room.

11 Likes

I had a variant of this - switched to public school** at ~13, where I found that nobody had any first names. Everyone was referred to by their last names (or, rarely, nicknames).

…and teachers were “Sir”.

** which actually means private school in this country… which leaves us with no sensible option to describe the schools-which-aren’t-public-schools. Ack.

4 Likes

Wish I could see the video. It’s showing as unavailable now.

I’m interested because at my high school (odd, small alternative public school in Richmond - one of the BB staff is also an alum) it was policy to call all teachers by their first name. I wonder if I’d parse the discombobulation differently given that background.

New video link pls?

1 Like

Grownups don’t have first names. I do. That’s how I know I’m not a grownup.

5 Likes