Teacher resigns after school backs parent complaining he might “teach their child to be gay” with his classroom Pride flag

Originally published at: Teacher resigns after school backs parent complaining he might "teach their child to be gay" with his classroom Pride flag | Boing Boing

12 Likes

That’s horrible. I’m so sick of these bigoted assholes controlling everything…

79 Likes

Do you want to lose talented and compassionate teachers? Because this is how you lose talented and compassionate teachers.

Although I guess I understand why right-wingers are making war on teachers. An educated citizenry is the biggest impediment to their gaining power.

83 Likes

76 Likes

Our deep American nightmarescape in a nutshell: Someone said “you have to be middle-of-the-road on human rights”, out loud, to another person.

95 Likes

So instead of teaching children to be gay, they’ve now taught children that complaining is an effective tool against the support of human rights.

51 Likes

Parents who insist that their children never have to encounter anyone different from themselves should just go ahead and withdraw their children from society (yes, I realize this is awful for their children as well) rather than demanding that society contort itself into their white picket fence fantasy.

19 Likes

How about the fact that the school is pushing a sportsball agenda on the outside of their building. I feel that might be viewed as pushing an anti-intellectual agenda, right? Tossers.

37 Likes

Yep. Because compassion is for weak libruls.

28 Likes

You know, the outside of the school looks a little pride-positive to me. Maybe some parents should demand it be repainted? That can’t come cheap, can it? Isn’t “Wildcat” an LGBTQ+ term? Maybe they should demand the mascot and all branding be changed?

Conversely, the teacher could have said the flag symbolized God’s covenant to his people to never again drown them with rain, and why is the superintendent siding with god-hating libruls?

Make such fuckery so incredibly painful that the administration stops kowtowing to a noisy minority.

15 Likes

About the only way now for me to drive across the USA is to go due north to Canada and drive to their eastern border then head South into the USA again. It’s dangerously obvious that the middle of this country is gone kooky banana pants.

12 Likes

Teaching, and compassion are both things right wingers hate. In fact, they’ve spent the last 30 years eradicating compassionate people in their party.

31 Likes

Ironically their state flag has a pair of bears on it.

52 Likes

Golly gee, maybe you’re right! They should change it to something with no gay connotations whatsoever. Like the Otters or the Bear Cubs, or maybe the Power Bottoms. I’m pretty sure I made that last one up right now. That’s how you can be absolutely sure it’s got no gay connotations.

19 Likes

“middle of the road on human rights”?? wtf does that even MEAN. good for that teacher. i hope he gets a job at a much better school immediately.

27 Likes

Yes - talented teachers might actually teach. The fuckwit parents want indoctrination

21 Likes

How about Lumberjacks? That’s a very rugged and virile name.

32 Likes

Schools across the country are hungry for teachers, in part because teachers are leaving the profession in droves because of shit like this, sadly. So, I’m sure he’ll find another district to work in… but he might run up against the same issues he had here.

36 Likes

Indoctrination but also a piece of paper/credential that will allow their little darlings to make money. Education runs a distant third at best for them.

20 Likes

And just for reference, here’s the United Nations statement on human rights:

“Human rights are rights we have simply because we exist as human beings - they are not granted by any state. These universal rights are inherent to us all, regardless of nationality, sex, national or ethnic origin, color, religion, language, or any other status. They range from the most fundamental - the right to life - to those that make life worth living, such as the rights to food, education, work, health, and liberty.”

We have to be middle of the road on food, education, work, health, and liberty. Yeah, that’s the American school system…

23 Likes