Watch the bang as man skips sodium across river

Christ that teacher is a fucking menace. I hope she got the book thrown at her. That didn’t even meet meth lab standards. FFS. Totally unqualified.

2 Likes

Maybe, but picric acid becomes a shock explosive if it dries out. If the new guy didn’t know it was there, or it wasn’t labelled appropriately, then he may have just been playing it safe. You get the same thing with ether. They put BHT in it to extend its shelf life, but if you leave it more than six months mostly empty, nasty fickle little explosive peroxide crystals like to form near the bottle’s cap and the act of unscrewing the bottle is enough to set it off. The rule at a lot of institutions is that if it doesn’t have an expiration date, you call the bomb squad, because you can’t know whether there has been ether peroxide crystal formation. Similar precautions go for picric acid.

ETA: If @shaddack were here, I’m sure he’d chide me for being a chicken.:laughing:

3 Likes

I don’t even begin to understand why she knowingly poured more accelerant on the red fire at all, much less directly from a gallon jug.

4 Likes

I mean, in my high school, most of the science teachers were also sports coaches. But they actually had published PhD dissertations I could go online and read to prove they were actually credentialed. Or at least the science teachers did.

It’s weird. I thought my high school was pretty shit. The campus itself was designed for 1000 students. When I was a freshmen there were 2500 students, and the number grew every year. We never had enough room, classrooms were packed, and there were a lot of experiments we just couldn’t do because the last semester’s class of jackwagons broke too much glassware, or swiped all the zinc, or pissed on all the filterpapers.

But then I hear stories like After the Rainbow, and there’s a whole new level of shittiness and stupidity I’m too lucky to have experienced.

1 Like

I’m not saying what they did was wrong – I probably would have done the same thing. Just lamenting the inevitable march towards safety trumping everything else…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.