Watch The Deep End, a documentary about cultish spiritual guru Teal Swan

Originally published at: Watch The Deep End, a documentary about cultish spiritual guru Teal Swan | Boing Boing

1 Like

she claims to have been the subject of Satanic ritual abuse as a child growing up in Idaho

If I wasn’t already skeptical about these grifter “wellness” gurus in general, this one claim would tell me she’s full of BS.

13 Likes

this

5 Likes

The podcast Oh No! Ross and Carrie! has done several episodes about Teal Swan - she seems nice

4 Likes

I doubt I could watch the whole series. It hits too close to home - with a reiki master aunt, and clearer/exorcist sister in law.

The ones that aren’t outright con artists really feel they have magic powers, and people are more than willing to pay for services rendered.

I think it stems from people who lack resources or supports believing something is true just because they wish it so. And wishing is a lot easier than doing.

In this case - the only ‘superpowers’ Teal Swan has are good looks and decent communication/persuasion skills. What she says doesn’t really matter as it’s probably a hodpodge of woo laser-targeted to a certain type of person in a certain type of circumstance.

4 Likes

I keep expecting an actual magician will form a cult, where they claim all your deep personal problems are caused by money, and to prove it they pull quarters out of your ears. “See? This was weighing you down.”

5 Likes

Chelsea Peretti Eye Roll GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Can we stop glorifying hucksters and grifters, please. K. THX. BYEEEEEEE…

1 Like

Based on the takedown video being recommended and the overall negative tone of the article itself I think Jennifer means it in a “keep an eye on her around your wallet” way

1 Like

I don’t know… she seems to be kind of in love with her, regardless…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.