Watch: the economics of a Japanese ramen shop

Originally published at: Watch: the economics of a Japanese ramen shop | Boing Boing

5 Likes

A ramen shop? Luxury!

6 Likes

:notes: We’re ramen, I wanna ramen with you :musical_note:

6 Likes

Going to school? I learnt all about it in the movies.

13 Likes

No one has done a Sim Ramen game?

6 Likes

Watchlist++ with that second one. I hope it’s as good as the first.

4 Likes

For an independent ramen shop in Japan, I see now how tough the economics can be. Such a competitive environment. It also helps me understand why Japanese chain ramen joints have opened in the US. If people here are willing to pay more than $10 for a bowl, why shouldn’t Kizuki and Tokyo-ya bring their proven larger-scale production methods here to realize a greater profit margin? At least both are pretty good. The former must have opened at least half a dozen around Seattle. And they have killer karaage chicken, too!

1 Like

Well Tampopo is a stone classic for me (I rewatched it maybe three years ago at friends’ film night) and discovered something very sad about the director. I was already sad about the director.

The second has some of the wistful emotion but isn’t funny. I still recommend it highly. But then I will watch any japanes movie about food. Like this:

And if we are talking telly I also love this (though I love slice of life manga/anime):

It’s wholesome fun even if it is set in the night economy with Yakuza, exotic dancers, fighters, drunks etc.

10 Likes

Pretty interesting. Japanese restaurateurs typically don’t seem to be in it to become rich so to see behind the curtain about the economics of the business side is fascinating.

On a side note, I’ve also wondered the same about Pho shops and how they can all stay in business when there are clusters of 10-15 different Pho houses in the same neighborhood.

1 Like

I was just in one of my local udon/ramen shops the other day. It’s at a local mall, so the rent would be high, but it’s a relatively large place, I’d say two dozen tables, where they got the broth ready and noodles par-cooked so they just throw on the ingredients and done, almost Chipotle style. They have a ramen machine and like 2 guys on it constantly churning out more noodles, plus another 5-6 on the line, plus a lot more in the back, I’m sure. Pretty smooth operation charging 15 a bowl plus extras for tempura and other stuff. Not too bad, They had a line on Saturday so business is brisk that day. No idea how authentic they’d be though as I’m no expert on that.

I think the problem of one of the big Japanese chains making it over here is how to source authentic ingredients.

5 Likes

IIRC, pho shops are probably a little easier as the meat is not cooked, just thinly sliced, and can be refrigerated. With modern machinery slicing thin is no longer a problem, and rice noodles can be machine made and easily sourced. The only real hurdle in a pho shop IMHO, is making good beef broth.

4 Likes

Tampopo-wise, I just found the DVD documentary, narrated by the Itami himself. All sorts of stuff on it. And astounding details: eg, the “zen master” who trains Gun on how to consume a bowl of ramen (Ryutaro Otomo) passed away the day after shooting his scene:

“Now then, with the tips of your chopsticks… smooth out the surface and caress the ramen.”
            “What for?”
“To express affection.”

9 Likes
2 Likes

Same here. Such a clear, beautiful melancholy vibe but always wholesome. The episode “Umeboshi and Plum Wine” in particular, where the greengrocer is having nightmares about his mother’s ghost searching the house is heartwarming, weird and hilarious.

4 Likes

9% profit is quite good! As long as owners pay is included in the staff pay calculation. I just read “count more beans” about cafe economics in Australia and most of them apparently have a profit level of 5%

3 Likes

Wow. And yikes.
Did not know.
Really need to re-watch Tampopo now, maybe over the winter holidays.

1 Like

Mark,
I love all foods Japanese.
Having a nephew who owns a tiny restaurant in Tatsuno Japan, it is swell to learn more about the economics of it.
Also I now subscribed to ‘ Life Where I am From’ for all the interesting story’s on the YouTube channel.
Another great find on my morning BB read.

ありがとうございます

5 Likes

Surely would be better than BurgerTime

2 Likes

Ramen shops can probably make good money on beer sales if they cater more to a night crowd.

Beer and ramen go together like, well, beer and ramen.

4 Likes

I wanted to see what streaming services might have it and was amused by the people who liked this also liked:

3 Likes